Deworming for tapeworm-question

Jan 25, 2020
Manitoba, Canada
Hi all
I dewormed my flock with SafeGuard 5 days in a row, after finding tapeworm segments in a poop. I was not aware, but found out later, that using fenbendazole during molt can lead to feather damage. One or two hens are dropping a lot of feathers. 😬
I still have round two to give, to catch the hatching worm eggs.
Is it ok to give Valbazen for round two?

Thank you for any help.

Hi all
I dewormed my flock with SafeGuard 5 days in a row, after finding tapeworm segments in a poop. I was not aware, but found out later, that using fenbendazole during molt can lead to feather damage. One or two hens are dropping a lot of feathers. 😬
I still have round two to give, to catch the hatching worm eggs.
Is it ok to give Valbazen for round two?

Thank you for any help.
I'm not a worm expert, but I'd refer to this thread/post:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/worming-with-safeguard-goat-wormer.1105160/post-17002911

Thanks for the responses.
After a lot of combing through BYC threads, I decided to go with Valbazen for round two and take my chances that I may have to repeat if it doesn’t work. I have invested enough in dewormers and never needed them, so now is my first time, and it doesn’t make sense to me to spend yet another fortune on something different.
I do my own fecals, and up until now, the chickens have not needed deworming. Since it is the first time, I hope the tapeworms will be effectively killed off. I think the SafeGuard already worked too, since I never saw any more segments after the initial find.

Maybe @dawg53 , could you help me with dosing Valbazen? I read it is 0.5ml for standard size chickens. I think my chickens range from 5 to 10 pounds.
Thank you

The tapeworm came back now that it is spring.
I will heed your advice now @dawg53 and get a praziquantel containing dewormer.
I have the choice between Eqvalan Gold (ivermectin and praziquantel) or Quest Plus (moxidectin and praziquantel).
Which one should I get for the chickens with tapeworm?

Thanks

Did you see rice-like segments slowly crawling around in feces? If so, they are tapeworm segments. Insects are the vector for tapeworm infections in poultry.
I recommend the Eqvalan Gold, it is the equivalent to our Zimecterin Gold horse paste containing praziquantel and will eliminate tapeworms. Dosage is 0.06ml per pound of weight given orally to the infected chicken(s). It is not necessary to worm all your birds, only the one(s) that have segments in their feces. Redose again in 10-14 days.

Did you see rice-like segments slowly crawling around in feces? If so, they are tapeworm segments. Insects are the vector for tapeworm infections in poultry.
I recommend the Eqvalan Gold, it is the equivalent to our Zimecterin Gold horse paste containing praziquantel and will eliminate tapeworms. Dosage is 0.06ml per pound of weight given orally to the infected chicken(s). It is not necessary to worm all your birds, only the one(s) that have segments in their feces. Redose again in 10-14 days.
Thanks so much for the quick reply @dawg53 ! I really appreciate it!
Also it was so nice of you to give me the dosage! Thanks 😊 🤗
I will go today and get the Eqvalan Gold.
Yes, I found the segments crawling in a poop yesterday. I have the suspected chicken in a cage to fast and monitor. She will be getting the dewormer tonight, and I will see if it’s really her. If not, I will do the same thing with my other suspect.
I will let you know how it went!

Back
Top Bottom