Deworming with Ivermectin (Canada)

Winchikn

Songster
Jan 20, 2020
Slocan Valley, British Columbia
Hello,

I have an approx 1.5 yr old hen who seems to struggle with roundworm load. I’ve dewormed my whole flock with pirazine twice this year (spring and fall) but found 5 worms in this one hens droppings this morning and want to try something different.

More limited options in Canada but I got some ivermectin liquid for horses (1 mL contains 10 mg). The horse directions are oral but my farmers supply suggested topical application. Advice?

(I didn’t get a poop pic but have no doubt they were roundworms…)

I’ll double check if I have any directions noted on the med box later tonight but my recollection is that I ended up being able to order some Safeguard online, which was the most recommended for roundworms, and used that and it worked.

Unfortunately, I lost that hen and one other to reproductive complications from infectious bronchitis a few weeks ago…

I’ll double check if I have any directions noted on the med box later tonight but my recollection is that I ended up being able to order some Safeguard online, which was the most recommended for roundworms, and used that and it worked.

Unfortunately, I lost that hen and one other to reproductive complications from infectious bronchitis a few weeks ago…
Sorry to hear that, always hard when you lose valuable hens.

I found some info on Poultry Talk Ontario regarding dosing for Ivermectin. 10mg/ml and dose would be ~0.05ml for a small/banty and 0.1ml for a regular sized hen (~6 lb).

That sounds like what I dosed mine for last Fall.

OK well sure hope the fire situation is ok out your way, been on and off miserable here with air quality and fire bans. I was just thinking that it's way too humid for June here, but then what do I know - next week if could be snowing hahahahah!

Sorry to hear that, always hard when you lose valuable hens.

I found some info on Poultry Talk Ontario regarding dosing for Ivermectin. 10mg/ml and dose would be ~0.05ml for a small/banty and 0.1ml for a regular sized hen (~6 lb).

That sounds like what I dosed mine for last Fall.

OK well sure hope the fire situation is ok out your way, been on and off miserable here with air quality and fire bans. I was just thinking that it's way too humid for June here, but then what do I know - next week if could be snowing hahahahah!
Thank you for sharing that dosing in case I want to use the Ivermectin in future.

We've been lucky for fires and smoke so far in southern BC but our fire season usually starts in July. So much of the rest of the country has been hit so hard. Fingers crossed the summer is okay!

Thank you for sharing that dosing in case I want to use the Ivermectin in future.

We've been lucky for fires and smoke so far in southern BC but our fire season usually starts in July. So much of the rest of the country has been hit so hard. Fingers crossed the summer is okay!
Need rain and of course the spruce worm decimating trees doesn’t help out your way. Such a crazy year weather wise.

I was up near High Level working all winter and almost every single day was around -2C with over night temps around -8C or even milder. And if they had a foot of snow that was as much as they had. When I headed home in March I knew it would be a bad year fire wise - just like that year in Fort Mc burning the town practically down. That winter it was so mild same thing -2C +2, freezing rain (crazy!) I left for home in March and knew it was going to be a bad fire season.

When I went back up there in that Oct I was amazed at the fires having burnt so much of the forests, the city - the hotel and restaurants and the subdivisions and how close the fire was to the roads (the bush burnt up to the roads). The camps that were burnt, the one our crew was in was ok (we were up at Fort MacKay), but I was left wondering what if…

Back
Top Bottom