Deworming with piperazine Dihydrochoride

Jaclyn34

Hatching
Jul 18, 2023
Hi Everyone,

I have 4 hens and found poop with roundworm today, so I'm trying to deworm. I'm pretty new at this. I've already figured out that I need about 5g (5.12) for all 4 chickens of the medication. My question is, is there a way to measure this medication without weighing it? I don't have a scale.

Also, is it okay to inject the medication directly into their mouths (in a syringe mixed with water) or does it need to be fed through feed or water?

Thanks for any help!

I hope this helps:
Piperazine dihydrochloride is an anthelmintic drug used to treat large roundworms in poultry. It is only effective against the adult large roundworm and has no effect on any other species of worms, including tapeworms. It can be given orally by mouth in each bird or added to the flock’s water source. The treatment needs to be repeated in 7-10 days since the drug does not kill the large roundworm eggs. If given by mouth: 50 mg/bird (if younger than 6 weeks of age), otherwise 100 mg/bird (if older than 6 weeks of age), or according to the manufacturer label. Repeat in 7-10 days. If added to flock water source: 3 mL per gallon of water, or in accordance with the manufacturer’s label1
I hope that helps!

Back
Top Bottom