DH just got me a spy camera to find out what's killing my birds!

Quote:
Me too.... and I have to that will eat though any kennel I put them in. I wanta see which one thinks its beaver.....
th.gif

yuckyuck.gif
lau.gif

Quote:
Not yet. DH had to order it from cabelas.com, so it hasn't come in yet. Haven't lost any more birds, but once the recent snow melted there are some very clear dog-like tracks in the mud coming from the 80+ undeveloped acres on the one side of us. Animal control says coyotes are open season year round, but they're tough to get a bead on, so here's to hoping!

I have one of those digital hunting cameras. We actually got it for deer hunting but in the off season I use it to catch the neighbors dog tresspassing, and to snap pics of other varmints. I'm fixing to buy me a night vision scope for other various stuffs.

If it is Coyotes be careful they are mean as fire and if there is one there are 15. They will attack to if you hurt any in there pack.
We had a predator but luckily our Goat guard dog kept them moving so was never able to get any of the chickens. Sunday we woke up to the dog barking like crazy and staring up into a tree. It was about 8am, bright and sunny. She had treed a racoon. So one problem gone for us. I hope you have the same luck...

Quote:
I am sorry but that is hogwash, i am a damage control trapper as well as a fur trapper and that is not true. Coyotes are not wovles and even then they will not hunt you.

Quote:
I am sorry but that is hogwash, i am a damage control trapper as well as a fur trapper and that is not true. Coyotes are not wovles and even then they will not hunt you.

I thought they were solitary hunters? I don't really know anything about them...

Quote:

I didn't say they would "hunt" you, I said try to hurt you if there is more than one and you kill one. They don't run like most others do they just keep coming. We have always found around here that if there is one there are more. This is from experience. Neighbor was losing calves and sheep. We set up one night in his truck out in the pasture to try to get what was killing them. It was a coyote. He shot it and another came at us. He shot that one and another one came at us. We did a high beam on the pasture and there were eyes everywhere. We left and he went back later with more backup. He told me it was worse the next time with them running at the truck. Scared me enough I got LGD's to help keep them away. Granted I have a much smaller place than his hundreds of acres. So easier for my dogs to help me.

Anyway just wanted to make sure they are careful....

It depends what they are going after. Mostly they live on small rodents like mice, rabbits and the like. Some will take down small deer fawns, calfs, and birds like pheasant or small birds on their own. If they really want to they can pack up and run down larger deer and like sized animals esspically when finding mice and rabbits can get tough due to wealther like deep snow, it can be an easy kill for them.

I didn't say they would "hunt" you, I said try to hurt you if there is more than one and you kill one. They don't run like most others do they just keep coming. We have always found around here that if there is one there are more. This is from experience. Neighbor was losing calves and sheep. We set up one night in his truck out in the pasture to try to get what was killing them. It was a coyote. He shot it and another came at us. He shot that one and another one came at us. We did a high beam on the pasture and there were eyes everywhere. We left and he went back later with more backup. He told me it was worse the next time with them running at the truck. Scared me enough I got LGD's to help keep them away. Granted I have a much smaller place than his hundreds of acres. So easier for my dogs to help me.

Well I will have to say you had quite a unique experience ! I have handled hundreds of yotes and never have had them come at me when they were being shot at ! Every time I shoot they either fall on the ground or run like heck ! LOL Its always funny to me how the farmer that hires me knows more about the animal than I the professional do.

Back
Top Bottom