DH Made a Drill Plucker Today

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by swampducks, Sep 15, 2008.

1. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    He's tried the dry plucking, the wet plucking and decided he wanted a plucker that didn't cost an arm and a leg. Cost him about $13, a PVC end cap, a carriage bolt, washers and nut, and some rubber bungees. Whether it works is another story.

For now he's eying my last extra roo or guinea but he heads to hunting camp tomorrow. They're safe till he returns next weekend. [​IMG]

2. Mikeeeeeeeeee

Mikeeeeeeeeee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Wetumpka
    We want pictures...........
    Better yet - a video on You Tube. [​IMG]

3. swampducks

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    He won't take pictures till he tests it out! I'm afraid we wouldn't be able to upload a video, we only have dial-up. Not only that but our video camer is an old VHS tape style. No idea how to convert that to digital!

I'm stuck in the 80s digitally speaking.a

4. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    All right, then please at least give us a good written description, and any still pix you can post. All us curious home-processors want to know!

5. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I just looked at a link someone else sent to a kit you could buy for about $25 to make a drill plucker. It looks like the one you described but with rubber fingers.

Have you tried your homemade one yet? How well did it work? I'm more interested in making my own rather than buying a more expensive kit if I could.

6. minifarmer

minifarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2008
    warren county, ohio
    I made one of these, and I love it! I think it cost $13 and took me about an hour to put together...most of that time was spent trying to convince the bungee pieces to pull through the holes I drilled. I found a link here to homesteading today that had pics and directions. I used it to defeather 9 roosters (cx) that were 14 weeks old and it did a good job on everything but the wing tips. Just make sure you use an electric drill as the battery ones don't have enough speed. Karla Also, I held the drill so I could maneuver it around the bird, but most people strap it to a table and move the bird. tomato, tomatoe

7. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  8. swampducks

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    Quote:DH is out there plucking a duck as I type. I took some photos as soon as I get them downloaded and resized I shall post them.

At this point he's pretty pleased with himself I think.

[​IMG]

Look for photos by supper time.

9. miron28

miron28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    lenoir north carolina
    Can¬ít wait to see how the pictures look![​IMG]

10. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    This is a duplicate reply as there are a few active plucker threads right now

My large plucker:
    4" Drain(not schedule 40) PVC using a 5/8 threaded rod for the center because
    it couples easy with my variable speed buffer. This same design can be used
    with 3/8" rod so it fits in a standard drill.
    [​IMG]

My drill type plucker:
    Works ok. 4" Drain PVC Cap with a 3/8" threaded rod.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I plan to build an enclosure around my larger plucker & shorten the length on the
    bungees.

I really should buy some plucker fingers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by