DH's way of doing the deed.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by CrazyFowlFreak, Jun 5, 2010.

1. CrazyFowlFreak

CrazyFowlFreak Pine Hill Farm

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    Is this humane? He gets a long board and whacks the chicken in the back of the head and they drop instantly. No flopping, nothing. I'm wondering if this is cruel or if I should insist we use a knife to cut their throats. Just curious as we have a couple to do this week. Sorry if this offends anyone, I don't know the proper terms, etc.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  2. Quote:If they die right away it sounds fine to me [​IMG]

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Yep, it's instant! No worries there!

4. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    As long as it's instant, i have no problems with it.

I do have a question. Does he restrain them somehow before he does that? I can just imagine chasing a chicken around the yard trying to get a good hit. I don't think it would be instant with me. [​IMG] How does he do it?

5. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    The only reason I haven't done this, is I'm not sure I'd get a good enough hit the first time. But yeah, they're either dead or unconscious, instantly. What could be more humane than that? I need to look around for a suitable club. Small enough for me to get a firm grip, and heavy enough to do the job.

6. bnentrup

bnentrup Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Quote:Does long board = baseball bat?

7. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    Sounds OK. He probably snaps the neck and they'd be dead instantly. I wonder if you are able to bleed them out well enough with that method?

8. CrazyFowlFreak

CrazyFowlFreak Pine Hill Farm

Apr 24, 2009
    WV

No, long board means long board. [​IMG] It's actually a 2X2 that's 6ft. long.

9. bnentrup

bnentrup Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Central Indiana

No, long board means long board. [​IMG] It's actually a 2X2 that's 6ft. long.

Well, I suppose I was just having a bit of a vivid imagination with your DH whacking his chickens with a Louisville Slugger. That sounds like a Country Song eh?

10. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Quote:No, long board means long board. [​IMG] It's actually a 2X2 that's 6ft. long.

Well, I suppose I was just having a bit of a vivid imagination with your DH whacking his chickens with a Louisville Slugger. That sounds like a Country Song eh?

I'd think a bat would be a lot less awkward, and easier to control, than a 6-foot board. I'm thinking about a 2 foot club with a heavy hitting-end would be about right, for me to handle comfortably. It's got to be small enough around on the grip-end for me to be able to get a good, firm hold on it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by