DH's way of doing the deed.

CrazyFowlFreak

Pine Hill Farm
11 Years
Apr 24, 2009
WV
Is this humane? He gets a long board and whacks the chicken in the back of the head and they drop instantly. No flopping, nothing. I'm wondering if this is cruel or if I should insist we use a knife to cut their throats. Just curious as we have a couple to do this week. Sorry if this offends anyone, I don't know the proper terms, etc.

Last edited:
Quote:
If they die right away it sounds fine to me
smile.png

As long as it's instant, i have no problems with it.

I do have a question. Does he restrain them somehow before he does that? I can just imagine chasing a chicken around the yard trying to get a good hit. I don't think it would be instant with me.
wink.png
How does he do it?

The only reason I haven't done this, is I'm not sure I'd get a good enough hit the first time. But yeah, they're either dead or unconscious, instantly. What could be more humane than that? I need to look around for a suitable club. Small enough for me to get a firm grip, and heavy enough to do the job.

Quote:
Does long board = baseball bat?

No, long board means long board.
lol.png
It's actually a 2X2 that's 6ft. long.

Quote:
Does long board = baseball bat?

lol.png

Well, I suppose I was just having a bit of a vivid imagination with your DH whacking his chickens with a Louisville Slugger. That sounds like a Country Song eh?

Quote:
lol.png

Well, I suppose I was just having a bit of a vivid imagination with your DH whacking his chickens with a Louisville Slugger. That sounds like a Country Song eh?

I'd think a bat would be a lot less awkward, and easier to control, than a 6-foot board. I'm thinking about a 2 foot club with a heavy hitting-end would be about right, for me to handle comfortably. It's got to be small enough around on the grip-end for me to be able to get a good, firm hold on it.

Back
Top Bottom