Diagnosis and treatment of poultry diseases

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rcentner, Jul 4, 2010.

1. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    I need a book...This is exactly what I am looking for, not just knowledge of the diseases, but treatment as well. I found a few textbooks that seem to fit the description, but they are like $200. Being a vet tech, I want to know about injection sites in chickens and various treatment methods. (like giving SQ fluids and IM/SQ/IV injections) Anyone know of such a text? Most of the books I have seen do not cover treatment procedures and such. any ideas? I already own the veterinary drug handbook so drugs/dosages are not necessary. I just want to be able to treat my chickens as well as I could a cat or dog.

2. Wendy80

Wendy80 New Egg

Feb 21, 2010
    Count me in on that as well! I will be following this post along with you! [​IMG]

3. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    I would ask your vet for what book he likes or uses. For "Human" docs, there are now pocket guides to lab, pharm and disease states. These usually cost around $30.00. Also, your certifying agency should have a list of books, specific for vetrinary medicine at discounted rates if you belong to the certifying body. Are vet techs certified? Anyway, just a suggestion of places to search. Please post what you find out. I would love to have a guide of chicken diseases along with treatment options.

4. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    Here in NY, we are licensed, but certified in some states. Yeah a formulary of sorts would likely be helpful. I think one of the doctors at work thought there must be one for poultry out there. Good thinkin, I will have her search VIN for me. (veterinary info network)

I will post any findings!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by