Diamond Dove advice

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by Chickycammy, Mar 15, 2018.

1. JaeG

JaeG Crossing the Road

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    I know ringneck doves but I'm not too knowledgeable about Diamond doves, other than they are tiny and cute and very docile. I know my ringneck is very happy now that she has a mate, but they can be quite noisy as they coo to each other. If you are home and able to spend a lot of time with it then keeping it as a single would be ok but it probably would be happier with a friend that understands it, especially if it's in its cage for most of the day.

biophiliac likes this.
  2. rebrascora

rebrascora Free Ranging

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    @biophiliac

Sorry, afraid I know nothing about doves

3. JaeG

JaeG Crossing the Road

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    @JackBaker

Just went back and found this member on a previous thread I'd commented on. He has Diamond Doves.

biophiliac likes this.
  4. pvaldes

pvaldes Chirping

Feb 26, 2018
    Nice tiny birds. Males have a more fleshy red ring around the eye. The eye ring of your bird is a little pale and flat, suggesting me either a female or a young male. Males on the other hand are more vocal than females. If the bird bends its head and opens its tail when cooing normally is a male. Some females will bow excepcionally, but is a typical male behaviour.

All you need is to try to trigger this. Show your bird a video with a female diamond dove or a singing male and watch its reaction. If starts singing and dancing, male. If just looks in silence or takes a passive stance, point for female (or very young male).

Would be interesting to know her estimated age. Older birds can just dislike or ignore a possible partner.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    JaeG and biophiliac like this.
  5. Chickycammy

Chickycammy Songster

Feb 15, 2018
    North Carolina
    That's what I was thinking too. All my birds now have a partner and I was thinking maybe this one would need one too. I can spend a great deal of time with it but I don't speak Dove so I'm probably not the best partner XD

JaeG and biophiliac like this.
  6. Chickycammy

Chickycammy Songster

Feb 15, 2018
    North Carolina

Thank you. I tend to play it a video from youtube of a diamond dove singing and it answers, dances side to side or gets super close to the video and coos up a storm.

I'm not sure the age as my sister didn't ask when buying it. It must not be too old as it's still pretty small from the pics I've seen online of adults.

Edit: I showed it the video you linked and it started singing. It poofed up and is singing still.

JaeG likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: