Diamond Dove Sicknesses

Saphine

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 18, 2013
Piedmont of NC
Hi guys!

So I have a pair of DD's, Martha and Wilson. To my knowledge, Martha has laid eggs before, but not for me yet. I've had them for almost a month and got them from a PetSmart (as far as I know, there aren't any DD breeders around me).

Anyways, they live in a large cage that allows them to fly around, and they get 'outside' time in my room, where I allow them to walk/fly around.

To the point- a while ago (actually, I think since I got her) Martha had reddish stools. I figured it was the dyed pellets in their PetSmart food, as my conure has had the same with her poop.

I moved her to a hospital cage, read online what to do (gave her some Pepto-Bismol), gave her heat, etc. Now she's healthy with healthy poops. Her mate was never like this.

I'm curious as to what it could have been, causing her reddish stools. It was the urates (? The liquid) that was red. It was really noticeable since it would leach into the paper that is their substrate (paper and paper towels). I couldn't find much on DD ailments.

I have a picture of the stools I will try to get up.

Thanks!

I keep budgies, their stools are easily affected by colored feed, and enough to leach into the towel (and any potential fabric) it lands on. If you have ruled out the idea of food color being the culprit, it may have been from stress. I have known the fecal consistency in ducks and chickens to change drastically under stressful conditions. As a general rule though, if it has cleared up, I would not worry unless it returns in which case I would make an effort to find an avian vet.

Thanks for replying! Unfortunately her red stools have come back, and there are also now these dark green stools (I'm not sure it's her, it could be the male). The liquid and solids are a dark emerald green, with a small bit of white.

I thought it was the food they were eating earlier before I got them, but when it persisted I noticed it was not dye. We went back to that same PetSmart and they had replaced the doves already- they were a lot worse, with very dark red poo and fluffed up. They had come in 3 days earlier. I don't know if it could be stress, could the male be stressing her? He does seem a bit pushy.

I don't know if my avian vet can see her- she sees parrots, chickens, ducks, exotics, but she refused my button quail (when I had them) and doesn't do finches; her reason is because they're too delicate. Also, I'm young and these are my personal pets I bought with my own money. I don't have enough for a vet visit and my parents would refuse. :/

It doesn't sound good, the dark color suggests bleeding. At this point it shouldn't be just stress, or feed. The ruffled feathers means that they arent feeling well. I will see if I can find some more information on the symptoms they are exhibiting, and see if there is anything you can do yourself to treat them.

From what I have found, the two most likely culprits would either be worms, or coccocidiosis. Both are treatable without veterinary advice, however it can be tricky to pinpoint the cause without veterinary expertise. The best thing to do would be to take a sample to your vet, however I understand that may not be possible in your situation. I have treated for both in poultry, if you have some pictures I may be able to give a guess on the culprit. Ivermectin will treat parasites, Corrid will treat cocci, both should be available at a local farm supply store.

Oops, I should have clarified. The PetSmart doves were the ones with the dark red poop. Not my dove, her poop is still a lighter red. I couldn't find anything on poops or even sicknesses for Diamond Doves, just some treatments. I think when I get home I'll put her back in her hospital cage.

Is it possible she could have an egg coming up? She is eating and I'm pretty sure she is drinking (I haven't seen her drink, but that's because I'm with them 24/7). Other than her poops and more-fluff-than-usual (she fluffs up when she sleeps, and when she relaxes on her perch much more than that male) she seems fine.

Oh! And I noticed she tends to keep her tail more up than the male does. I don't know if that could mean anything.

EDIT: Thanks! I got carried away looking at diamond dove stuff. I have a picture at home I can upload later in the day!

Last edited:
first let me say what dove is sick where did it come from is the feed you are feeding for dd or hook bills are you sure one is female pet smart is a good store but look at what birds are exposed to going from breeder to where ever in with other birds from different places blood in stool means to me bird was injuried or has coccocidiosis the on again off red poop do not under stand so please explain each dove where it came from what is wrong with it and why you think the sex it is

My doves came from PetSmart. I had been looking for DD's for a while but this was the only place I could find them. A few (Ringneck) dove breeders used to breed them but they have stopped. I know Pet Smart isn't the best place to get a bird...

I am feeding them a finch mix with some dove mix (there is an exotics store that sells dove/pigeon mixes). It has millet, some safflower, flax, and some other small seeds I forget.

I am quite confident it is a female. She hasn't bow cooed, she has a much smaller eye ring that's less colorful. The male has mate with her a few times. When I got them, they said they laid a lot of eggs too.

Yes, I know they do have a lot of stress. I've had the doves for a little over a month and they seem relaxed. They get used to me coming in the room and sweeping, etc.

I do think it's coccocidiosis. The off/on red poop is because I gave the female Pepto-Bismol. For about a week her poops were healthy. Now they are red again.

So, to sum it up: Both doves came from Pet Smart. The female is having red stools, and now I think the male might now have green stools (but I can't tell). I think the female is a female because of her smaller, less colorful eye ring, lack of bow cooing, and not fighting with the male. I think the male is male because he bow coos, much brighter eye ring that's clearly bigger, and attempts to mate with the female. Also, when I got them, I was told they laid a lot of eggs.

Notice its the urea thats red, not the feces. From what I can see your dove is in a very bad situation, that is definatley a form of internal bleeding. Coccocidiosis can be on again off again, and can cause bleeding to that extent when left untreated, however I cannot be for sure that is your doves problem. Internal bleeding can be caused by many things. Crossing my fingers for you, hope she starts feeling better.

Back
Top Bottom