Diamond Doves Anyone ?

Feathered Wings

Songster
11 Years
Oct 9, 2008
Georgia
I have 2 pairs of Diamond Doves and have had them about 2 months. The blue white tail pair are sitting in a nest on 2 eggs.
big_smile.png

The silver pair the male sits in the nest and coo's but the female ignores him.
hmm.png
The man i got them from said the blues were a mated pair but the silvers were young birds.
hu.gif

I have always wanted some and lucked up and traded ring necks for both pairs.
ya.gif

I Have read sites on these but would like to know personal experience's with these birds.

If anybody can share your personal experience's with these birds it would be very appreciated
smile.png

Quote:
I've kept this species for many years and currently have several normal and white-tailed silvers. Fun birds to own and have been very prolific breeders.

We keep them in outdoor flights with finches and pheasants during the warmer months and move them indoors during the winter. Their natural nests are rather flimsy, so we always provide either a bowl-shaped finch nest, platform, or open ended box for them to nest in. Diet has been choice of whatever is in their aviary - finch, parakeet, and even pheasant feed!! They also love millet sprays.

Although I haven't done it, I have heard that they can become quite tame if worked with and will perch on a finger.

Check out this organization, the American Dove Association - http://www.doveline.com/ - they produce a very good publication.

Dan

Dan do you think the silver pair will ever mate and lay? I seperated them because the males were fighting after the blues started nesting.
hmm.png

Should i have kept them together?
hu.gif

I have them in 2 bird cages in my liveing room and i feed them millet and bird seed mix and provide grit.
Are there any suppliments they need?

I been a batch of nerves over the babys comeing will they be good parents?
barnie.gif

Is there anything i need to do before they hatch or after?

Quote:
It's hard to say if the silver pair will lay, give them some time and see. The fighting between males could cause problems with the chicks, so moving them out is a good idea.

I've never had any issues with this species rearing thier young and they seem to be very good at it. Some keepers of other foreign doves will use this species to foster some of the harder to rear species.

Best of luck, sounds like you have a good start!!

Dan

Hey Dan i need your help please
smile.png

Sorry if i am cutting into your post oegblady:

I Love Diamond doves.. i have been wanting a pair every since i saw one a few years ago at the bird house so finally this year back in February i got my pair.. well atleast i think it's a pair
hmm.png

well i want mine to nest so i can have chicks.. my parents want some and i told them when mine have chicks they can have then grown chicks..but i have tried to breed them and they go along with it so far then just stop.. like the male will mount the female but not go all the way..and just fall off of her and they will repeat this about 5 or 6 times in a row ..the male also will go in the nest and coo to the hen but most the time she just ignores him...and if the hen does go in the nest one day..the male will jump on top of her and she will get nervous and fly off

my doves are in a small aviary with finches is that ok?

is there anything i need to try to help them breed? any type of nest they need? i have the wicker nest basket from petsmart

any info would help thanks
smile.png

BirdBoy Thats the same problem i have with my silver pair only they never attempt mateing like yours. He just sits in the nest and coos while she sits outside it and sleeps.
hu.gif

If mine don't do something soon i'm going to sell them.

Quote:
It's very annoying isn't it?
he.gif
barnie.gif

i am thinking about putting a bigger nest in the cage for them and if a bigger nest doesn't work i don't know what else to do..it's my male really

when the female wants to mate he mounts her then jumps back off of her an coo's and then repeat the same thing 5 times.... i have been looking around for another pair but diamond doves you only see once in a blue moon in my area so if you do spot 1 or 2 doesn't matter if it's a pair or not if you don't get it then ....you wont have any.. i was just lucky enough to spot a pair
smile.png

i have had them almost a year now and not even one egg from them yet
he.gif

Quote:
Not sure what the issue could be. Young birds? Has the hen ever laid any eggs?

Quote:
Shouldn't be a problem. I keep mine with finches, lovebirds, quakers, pheasants, etc. I am concerend about the others messing with their nests, the lovebirds are good at that. Finches though, shouldn't be an issue. What species are they and how big is the aviary?

Quote:
Perhaps more room. I've never been able to breed them outside of lots of space & privacy. Once that was given, they bred like rabbits!! The wicker baskets are fine, I have some and have a pair that uses one.

Dan

Back
Top Bottom