Diarrea help

Patfish

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 3, 2013
Hello, I have a EEer who has laid her first 2 eggs over the last 3 days. I have also noticed she has had diarrea for the past week or so. At first I thought they were just cecal poops but now I am not sure. She seems to be eating and drinking fine otherwise and is active in the coop and run. Can anyone tell ny these poops if there is something wrong with her? Thanks for any help.

Those wet droppings with the whitish (urine) look like she has been very thirty and drinking a lot. Has she been wormed? I would worm her with fenbendazole (SafeGuard) horse paste or Liquid Goat wormer- 1/2 ml of either one, and repeat in 10 days. Also I would add some probitics to her water (Probios dispersible powder is a good brand) or give her a small amount of plain yogurt.

Thanks I will give it a try. The weather here has been between 25 and 45 F so I didn't think she would be drinking to cool herself. I will try the de-wormer and yogurt.

Certain diseases and a high protein diet can cause excessive thirst. Coccidiosis also causes diarrhea, but if she acts fine, and is eating/drinking she may be fine. Here is a chart that can help diagnose droppings, although there are always exceptions.

Update here is a poop from today. Are those worms? Are her eggs still safe to eat? Eggcessive where do I get that chart, I am not seeing it in your post.

Last edited:
Ok, i know this is gross, but I'd suggest poking one of those white things in her poop. (Use a twig or something of course. Lol) If it squishes or seems alive, it may be worms. It's hard to tell from the picture; if I could see it in real life I could tell you for sure. :) Regardless, her eggs should be fine to eat as long as you don't worm her. (If you do decide to worm her, don't eat the eggs for at least two weeks after. Exact time depends on the deworming medicine given.)

Is your hen acting lethargic? Dropping weight? A round of wormers may not hurt any, as long as you're willing to trash her eggs for 2-4 weeks. More info can be found with a site search for "deworming". Any deworming advice given by dawg53 is excellent.

Well I bought some dewormer and have been feeding yogurt. This is the stuff I bought, the nice people at Agway said they use it. It says that you don't have to stop eating the eggs at all. Also a second chicken has "The Runs" it appears brown and runny.

Last edited:
I am still worried about my girls, this is what came out of my Red today. How long should I wait for the dewormer to work?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom