Diarrea help

OK I went out and got the SafeGuard and will give it to them tonight probably once they all retreat into the house and I can corner them each. I hope you understand that as an absolute Newbie who has only had chickens for 6 months and has only been getting eggs for three weeks I am less than stoked to have to discard almost a months worth of eggs and therefore wanted to try something that wouldn't make the eggs non-potable first. I am sure once I do some searching there is a thread on here that explains how to dose the chicks with the meds. How long does the medicine take to start working/how do I know if it is working? Thanks for your tutelage.

OK I went out and got the SafeGuard and will give it to them tonight probably once they all retreat into the house and I can corner them each. I hope you understand that as an absolute Newbie who has only had chickens for 6 months and has only been getting eggs for three weeks I am less than stoked to have to discard almost a months worth of eggs and therefore wanted to try something that wouldn't make the eggs non-potable first. I am sure once I do some searching there is a thread on here that explains how to dose the chicks with the meds. How long does the medicine take to start working/how do I know if it is working? Thanks for your tutelage.
If they were mine I would give no less than .5ml per 2.2 pounds once (50mg/kg) or .2ml per pound (20mg/kg) for 3 days. Some will say to use a peasize amount, I prefer a more accurate dose.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Kathy, I am having a hell of a time finding out how to dose them with the paste. I got the SafeGuard 25 Gram paste, 100mg/g. Do I separate each of them and mix it in some oatmeal for each? I am sorry for the dumb questions, I can't help it.

Kathy, I am having a hell of a time finding out how to dose them with the paste. I got the SafeGuard 25 Gram paste, 100mg/g. Do I separate each of them and mix it in some oatmeal for each? I am sorry for the dumb questions, I can't help it.
Get a 1ml syringe and give no less than .5ml per 2.2 pounds once (50mg/kg) or .2ml per pound (20mg/kg) for 3 days. 1ml of paste weighs 1 gram, trust me, I weighed it, lol.

-Kathy

From left to right:
Small = 10mg ( .1cc) = enough for a 200 gram (7 ounce) bird at 50mg/kg
Medium = 25mg (.25cc) = enough for a 500 gram (17 ounce) bird at 50mg/kg
Large = 50mg ( .5cc) = enough for a 1000 gram (35 ounce) bird at 50mg/kg
50 mg/kg is what my vets recommended.

Weighed empty 6cc (ml) syringe

Filled with Panacur 10% paste and weighed. Difference is 6 grams, so 6 grams = 6cc's (ml)

-Kathy

Edited to add these:

Back
Top Bottom