Diarrhea, bloated abdomen

livinadream

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 18, 2011
1) What type of bird , age and weight. Buff Orpington hen, just over a year old, unsure about weight

2) What is the behavior, exactly. My Buff has had the runs for a few weeks, but has been acting otherwise normal (eating, drinking, pecking around, making merry
wink.png
), so I've just been watching her and hoping the runs would go away on their own. Her butt feathers are smeared with the stuff. I think she's laying, but I'm not positive. I have yet to 'catch' her in the nest box as I have the other hens. (I've had the whole flock for just about 2 months now.) Her vent is plump and moist like a laying hens would be, though, and out of 5 hens we're getting 3-4 eggs a day, so I think she's probably laying. I compared her abdomen to the other hens' today, and hers is definitely plumper, and squishier. Maybe it's bloated? My other hens are 2 RIR, 1 Plymouth Barred Rock, and 1 Easter Egger. She seems fine, except for the poop and the possible swollen abdomen. Behaviorally, she seems to be quite healthy, but I just can't ignore the poo covered butt anymore. Every animal caring instinct of mine is saying if an animal lets it's butt get covered in poo like that, something must be wrong. This is my first time caring for chickens, though, so maybe I shouldn't be worried? Any ideas about how I can definitively tell if she's laying?

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? a few weeks

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.Unknown

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Main diet: Layer pellets. Treats/supplementary diet: chicken scratch, kitchen scraps (like peels and what not...not cooked food other than plain oatmeal or grits or noodles sometimes.) Free ranges and eats grass/weeds/bugs/worms and whatever else she finds.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Runny. green to brown, depending on the poop.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Cut back on kitchen scraps for about 3 days, but didn't notice any change.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I'm looking to treat on my own-no vet bills please.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. Let me know if you think a pic would really be helpful in this situation

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. 5 hens in a 8 by 3 foot coop with open access to a large chicken yard (located under a giant pine tree) and daily free range time in the family yard. (.16 acres). Pine shavings and straw for bedding. Wood chips in the chicken yard.

Is her abdomen warm to the touch? Does it look like she's missing feathers? She may have ascites. Swelling of the abdomen can cause poopy butts, because of the swelling.

I have a hen that I suspect has this.

Thank you both of you for your ideas. I'll keep watching her for being eggbound. Any ideas to help me tell if she lays an egg? Her abdomen is not hot, nor is she missing any feathers. Yesterday she did some idle standing around...not typical for her, but as soon as I let the hens out to free range, she was animated and going after worms and what not.

I have a bird exhibiting precisely the same symptoms. Attached is a photo of her droppings. Her symptoms have been going on for months now. She's less animated than the other birds but certainly looks plump. She does eat and drink and eagerly takes scraps. She's got crusted poop on her backside as well. I have yet to send a fecal sample to the vet but I sure wish I knew what was wrong. Anyone with experience have any ideas here?

66418_photo7.jpg

Quote:
Wow! What an ingenious idea. There are some really creative people out there.
smile.png
I'm going out to paint her vent this afternoon for sure. Poor little lady-hopefully she won't be too mortified.
wink.png

i'm thinking worms are likely... is her abdomen swollen and firm? her poop greenish? any gasping/respritory symptoms? try wazine 17, piprazine 17, or ivermectin. ivermectin treats the larvea and eggs, the others treat the adult worms...

Is her abdomen warm to the touch? Does it look like she's missing feathers? She may have ascites. Swelling of the abdomen can cause poopy butts, because of the swelling.

I have a hen that I suspect has this.
I have one too. How did you help her?

Back
Top Bottom