Diary & Notes ~ Air Cell Detatched SHIPPED Chicken Eggs for incubation and hatching

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to a friends house on Saturday.. Came home...

One of my Serama roosters, a pullet, and another roo were dead... That Serama roo was the first out of my very first hatch... I will miss my Pete... And the other two, Omlet and Poachy, were also from one of my first hatches.. Now my Serama roo Tweet is all alone.. At least he has Wobbles (who is now in the coop in a brooder) to keep him company. I am totally getting more Serama eggs when I can.

Pete, Omlet and Poachy...
You are much loved
images

Day 17..
bun.gif
getting nervous, I was going to use a different incubator to hatch in, plugged it in yesterday to get it regulated. Glad I did, the dang thing broken and won't go below 120 degrees..
somad.gif
I have another batch due to hatch in another incubator next week. I guess after this first hatch that incubator will become my incubator/brooder. I think I am getting addicted to this hobby
lau.gif

One of my Serama roosters, a pullet, and another roo were dead... That Serama roo was the first out of my very first hatch... I will miss my Pete... And the other two, Omlet and Poachy, were also from one of my first hatches.. Now my Serama roo Tweet is all alone.. At least he has Wobbles (who is now in the coop in a brooder) to keep him company. I am totally getting more Serama eggs when I can.

You are much loved
images
Awww.... I'm sorry!! Do you know what happened?
hugs.gif

In case no one was able to determine malpositioning, I found this from Janet Stromberg's "A Guide to Better Hatching"... an excellent reference book:

"It must be noted around the 12th or 14th day, the embryo is forced to assume a lengthwise position within the egg. In making this change, the head always seeks the highest point in the egg. Should the small end of the egg be up at this time the embryo will assume a position with its head in the small end away from the air cell . . . The proper position of the chick when ready to hatch is with its head in the air cell end of the egg. If the embryo is positioned with its head in the small end of the egg, it's practically impossible for the chick to hatch, although it may pip the shell. When an egg is laying on its side the natural shape sufficiently elevates the large end."

I'm only on page 624 of the thread, and trying to read through it... found this, and don't know if anyone was able to help on the situation of malpositioning chicks, but didn't want it lost, in case no one did. If someone did, then forgive the duplicity!

In case no one was able to determine malpositioning, I found this from Janet Stromberg's "A Guide to Better Hatching"... an excellent reference book:

"It must be noted around the 12th or 14th day, the embryo is forced to assume a lengthwise position within the egg. In making this change, the head always seeks the highest point in the egg. Should the small end of the egg be up at this time the embryo will assume a position with its head in the small end away from the air cell . . . The proper position of the chick when ready to hatch is with its head in the air cell end of the egg. If the embryo is positioned with its head in the small end of the egg, it's practically impossible for the chick to hatch, although it may pip the shell. When an egg is laying on its side the natural shape sufficiently elevates the large end."

I'm only on page 624 of the thread, and trying to read through it... found this, and don't know if anyone was able to help on the situation of malpositioning chicks, but didn't want it lost, in case no one did. If someone did, then forgive the duplicity!
thank you this is very interesting , keep posting lol

You are much loved
images
I am so sorry
hugs.gif
Do you know what happened?

Interesting. I know it is very different from state to state and also I think alot of what they check depends on the tester. I had marked on the application that I had incubators but he scratched it out because they were just the styro bators. The app didn't specify what type. Also here it is $5 no matter how many birds. Test everything over 4 months old. The tester that came out was very easy going. I had anticipated him checking everything but he looked around and said let's get to it.

wink.png
As soon as I get my hen side area done, going to have them come out and check everybody, so I can get certified.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom