Diary & Notes ~ Air Cell Detatched SHIPPED Chicken Eggs for incubation and hatching

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting behind here...sorry those ducklings didn't make it. :( I applaud your efforts in gathering data & hope the 6 left will come out healthy. :thumbsup Mature ducks don't require heat, but they do need a windbreak. We're building an open aviary-type habitat that we can board up during the winter. It'll have an enclosed duck house within to get out of the nastiest weather.

As requested here are some pics of how I adapted for candling the 3000 lumen flashlight that Sally Sunshine recommended. It is a very easy task if a person can find the 1 1/4" foam pipe insulation but since all I had available to me was the 1" foam pipe insulation, I cut an extra piece to fill the exposed gap and used electrical tape to tape the foam together. By using a little compression it made the foam fit very tightly but can still be pulled off of the flashlight without untaping it. Not very fancy, but total time involved was less than 5 minutes.

Thank you!

I just had the first opportunity to try using this when I needed to check some guinea eggs that my broody hen had abandoned for her freshly hatched turkey poult that must have fallen or got pushed out of the nest onto the floor. It worked much better for candling after the addition of the foam than it ever did before.

Its nasty stuff but I stand by fumigation. - For fumigation of eggs and incubator, use 1.35ml of 40% formalin solution and 0.84g potassium permanganate per cubic foot of air space

it cleans the eggs and the incubator.

It gets into areas that cleaners cant.

You can also fumigate during incubation - after day 5 and before day 15 - which i have done after a stinking oozer - at lower concentration (0.5ml 40% formalin and 0.2g potassium permanganate) in mid incubation e.g. one and two weeks after the start of incubation

you have to have an area that is well ventilated to clear the gass afterwards - i incubate in a seperate building
I think she meant for washing the eggs and dipping eggs along the way. but I could be wrong. The issue with some bacterial deaths in my ducks this hatch, as some deaths had really brown nasty liquids.

Quote:

not sure what to tell you Mich. Not sure how the babies will react to her and she them. praying it goes well!

Six eggs still sitting in there, but when I shine the light through the plexi onto air cells each egg wiggles lol so I know they are alive! Ducks are much more touchy to light I can tell!

Sally I was googling pics of silkie ducks and came across this site. Reading it made me realize I don't want silkie ducks.
http://lemontheduck.com/id35.html
yes, we had read that before. This is why Holderread had introduced more gene pools to them. I can tell you, they suck to incubate LOL but as far as ducklings, they are strong little boogers, the statement about week ducklings is completely false, and I have spoken with several people that agree the things are spitfires!

I'm getting behind here...sorry those ducklings didn't make it.
sad.png
I applaud your efforts in gathering data & hope the 6 left will come out healthy. Mature ducks don't require heat, but they do need a windbreak. We're building an open aviary-type habitat that we can board up during the winter. It'll have an enclosed duck house within to get out of the nastiest weather.
thumbsup.gif

Duckies got the bigger set up!

They are not sure what to do with all the room!

I love this set up! and with the tarp under it I just drag the wasted litter to the compost pile! and pulling it up the sides of the play yard help keep feathers and shavings inside!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom