Diary of a Chicken Owner: Day 1

PeachyAxee

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 14, 2013
Today was one of the most exciting days of my life: I got three bantam chickens! They are so unique, each having their own personality! Rosemary, the leader of the group, is a dark grey hen with white flecks. She can hold her own in a fight, and doesn't get scared easily. Some might say she was mean, but I believe she's just misunderstood. Next is Heidi, a light brown hen with a white patch on her tail feathers. She is the sweetest thing you'll ever meet! She eats out of your hand, lets you pet her, and lets you pick her up! Last is Attila the Hen, a black-grey hen with a golden head/neck and a "purple-ish" face. She is the daredevil of the group, and is very rebellious. In fact, today when I first put them in their coop, she flew into a tree! I let her stay there, thinking she would come down soon. This was not the case. She had stayed in that tree for at least 8 hours! Worried about a hawk carrying her off, I got out a BB Gun and shot it into a nearby tree. She got scared and flew into another tree, far into the woods. Full of dismay, I went back to the house, thinking I'd lost my hen. About an hour later, my dogs started barking. I looked out the window to see what was wrong, and there was Attila the Hen, pecking bugs in my flower bed! I quickly got a towel and tried to throw it on her to catch her, but I missed. She jumped onto the roof of my house, and climbed. As I am typing this, she is roosting on my roof. Hopefully she will come down tomorrow so I can catch her and put her back in the coop with the others.

Oh my goodness! That sounds like a beautiful flock! I hope Atilla comes down! You may have to shake some food around... or get a net...

Great news: Attila the Hen came down! Yes, they are a beautiful flock. I love them all very much!

Back
Top Bottom