Diary of Mommy Satin’s First Hatch

Friend sent me a photo he took of momma Paint before she became a momma.

Cheered me up a little.

I kind of miss her face floof :)

825870C1-BBC3-4754-8903-7DF716FDBB1A.jpeg

Momma is apparently a vegetarian, Vegan even maybe. She vehemently refuses any kind of bugs, and even shooed her children away from the scrambled egg I offered them.

Lettuce is a favorite. I give her a leaf and she will give the warning cluck to her chickies to stand back, before hulk smashing it into pieces - complete with intimidating chicken growls. Then she would cluck excitedly for the kiddos to come and dine on the shredded lettuce carcass.

4D57B115-E541-4BCC-822B-FE8C9CAB4F9A.jpeg

One of my cat’s favorite pastimes is chicken bonking, as in sneaking up on an unsuspecting chicken before bonking them and running away. He’s probably wondering how long before he can add the little ones to his list of bonk victims.

DA4B8442-F6C8-44BB-90C8-B87BFF263DA6.jpeg

Mommy tried to teach the littlies how to dust bath. One tried it for a brief two seconds before being distracted by a bug. It was so frigging adorable (!!!!), ofcourse she stopped when I pulled the phone out to take a photo.

6843E288-D342-4302-8729-D6B035606B01.jpeg

They also met the big bad mean hens today. Momma made it clear that her children will not be associating with their kind.

0D1587F3-9D2D-4F8F-82EA-8A1538B2D00B.jpeg

Day 6

Today was a mostly eventful day - more eating, pooping and napping in the sun. Unfortunately chickie Three has developed a persistent pasty butt. The littlies are on chick starter and definitely not stressed, so I’m not entirely sure what to do about it.
I guess I’ll be on poopy butt cleaning duty for a while...

26B1DF96-FF3C-4B56-95CA-4300A2826D3F.jpeg

Day 6

Today was a mostly eventful day - more eating, pooping and napping in the sun. Unfortunately chickie Three has developed a persistent pasty butt. The littlies are on chick starter and definitely not stressed, so I’m not entirely sure what to do about it.
I guess I’ll be on poopy butt cleaning duty for a while...

View attachment 2725152
She is such a good momma!

Love this! So sorry about little chickie 2. My broody is still sitting tight, so I think there may be an egg waiting to hatch or it’s a dud, today is day 21 so there’s still time. Came into a sad situation early this morning, one of her babies got out of the nest box and got lost overnight. I found it barely alive but a couple chirps. She tucked it back under her, but not sure if it’s going to make it 😢

Love this! So sorry about little chickie 2. My broody is still sitting tight, so I think there may be an egg waiting to hatch or it’s a dud, today is day 21 so there’s still time. Came into a sad situation early this morning, one of her babies got out of the nest box and got lost overnight. I found it barely alive but a couple chirps. She tucked it back under her, but not sure if it’s going to make it 😢
:frow
We should have grow along threads, haha

is it possible to make a lip on the nesting box so they don’t fall out? maybe a cardboard partition?

Lots of prayers for the chilled baby... 💛

Back
Top Bottom