Diary of Mommy Satin’s First Hatch

Thank you! The little fighter made it! He is the tiny black one in the pic. We’re naming him Ali 😂. He/she is eating and drinking so I have hope. She hatched all 6 and left the nest this afternoon! She was holding out for one of her flock mates infertile eggs to hatch, I tried to pull them daily but sometimes she wouldn’t let me. I will be following your momma and babies’ journey!

Attachments

• AE5E4E35-5357-4E5B-83BB-6E9DDF03530F.jpeg
    AE5E4E35-5357-4E5B-83BB-6E9DDF03530F.jpeg
    526.3 KB · Views: 6
Thank you! The little fighter made it! He is the tiny black one in the pic. We’re naming him Ali 😂. He/she is eating and drinking so I have hope. She hatched all 6 and left the nest this afternoon! She was holding out for one of her flock mates infertile eggs to hatch, I tried to pull them daily but sometimes she wouldn’t let me. I will be following your momma and babies’ journey!
They are so colorful!

Yay! Eating and drinking is a good sign. Two never mananged to eat by herself even after 4 days.

I’m in love with the blue(?) gray(?) chipmunk in the top left corner <3

Day 7 photoshoot

All chicks are not sexed and arbitrarily referred to as “he” or “she”... lol

One/ 3rd hatch

Chick One is... different. She doesn’t have the black patterning the others are starting to show. and her wings are coming in much slower compared to everyone else.
5D8BA5D4-6451-4995-A281-995BC9FA5A6F.jpeg

Three/ 4th hatch
Mr poopy butt. Loves his food. Feathering second fastest after Five. Little pin feathers have started to come up today on the tail :)

3CD55EB2-18C6-462B-B39B-FE9BC3D30145.jpeg

Four/ 5th hatch
I call him the Flat Comber, Odd ball SLW x Delaware mix. Not a whole lot of patterning on his wings, but if you look closely enough, it’s there.

1440B523-A924-4F37-9ED5-35B30CB8F633.jpeg

Five/ 1st hatch
Hatched almost an entire day ahead of everyone else, and it really shows! She’s bigger and more boisterous, has the most feather growth. The tail is also coming in today on this one :)

97ED65B6-5F71-4B97-A904-41FE8F37FB92.jpeg

Six/ 2nd hatch

The biggest egg in the clutch turned out to be a rather modest chick that never really stands out 😂

BA85018D-923F-4872-8329-21CA7EDF6864.jpeg

—————-
Wing progression (chickie Five)

AF6F9CEA-FFCD-4A03-B0A9-B9B8CEA27058.jpeg

Day 7 photoshoot

All chicks are not sexed and arbitrarily referred to as “he” or “she”... lol

One/ 3rd hatch

Chick One is... different. She doesn’t have the black patterning the others are starting to show. and her wings are coming in much slower compared to everyone else.
View attachment 2726300

Three/ 4th hatch
Mr poopy butt. Loves his food. Feathering second fastest after Five. Little pin feathers have started to come up today on the tail :)

View attachment 2726301

Four/ 5th hatch
I call him the Flat Comber, Odd ball SLW x Delaware mix. Not a whole lot of patterning on his wings, but if you look closely enough, it’s there.

View attachment 2726302

Five/ 1st hatch
Hatched almost an entire day ahead of everyone else, and it really shows! She’s bigger and more boisterous, has the most feather growth. The tail is also coming in today on this one :)

View attachment 2726303

Six/ 2nd hatch

The biggest egg in the clutch turned out to be a rather modest chick that never really stands out 😂

View attachment 2726304

—————-
Wing progression (chickie Five)

View attachment 2726316
Hoping for pullets! ;)

First week...

Well, technically it’s been one week for Five. Everyone else is on day 6ish.

Today was spent in momma’s personal crate inside the run.

Momma Paint, bless her heart, challenged the head hen today.
Commander Blackie the fatty BSL snuck into the crate for crumbles while I was changing out the chick waterer. Well, she's a large chicken, and with a turn of her body, sent the entire brood scrambling for the other end of the crate.

Being cornered by a floofy back end was probably not a peasant experience, as momma demanded Commander Blackie leave with a peck to the offending butt. Fortunately Blackie is a tolerant and fair leader. She returned the peck to make clear that she was boss, then respectfully exited the crate to leave mommy and chickies in peace.

Just 4 weeks ago, Paint would be squawking her head off and scrambling for safety (aka hiding behind me) whenever she spotted another hen :lol:

E07BABC2-E49E-41A0-BA39-6C34A55E55C8.jpeg

In other news...
Momma won’t let the kitten come near her and the babies, but is somehow fine with me taking her child and putting it on the kitten 🤔

7A9F142F-9DCC-4823-A7DC-B3786388BE20.jpeg

Day 8 - Warm and Sleepy

Everyone is snoozing a little more than usual today.

A3B4BC39-F24F-456C-AF39-96FF62C06BB8.jpeg

I picked this little one up and she didn’t want to hop off my hand and go back to momma, so I let her nap on me for 5 minutes. 5 minutes because I can only sit still for that long before getting antsy.

I’m betting its a roo 😂

13393A56-F8E3-4E48-9041-F1300B9728E9.jpeg

More sleepy

Day 8 - Warm and Sleepy

Everyone is snoozing a little more than usual today.

View attachment 2727758

I picked this little one up and she didn’t want to hop off my hand and go back to momma, so I let her nap on me for 5 minutes. 5 minutes because I can only sit still for that long before getting antsy.

I’m betting its a roo 😂

View attachment 2727761

More sleepy
So adorable! Such a dedicated mother hen!:love

Back
Top Bottom