Diatomaceous Earth

Quote:
Woot! So are you saying that white vinegar works as a weed killer? I have some areas of gravel-covered paths that get weeds. If we spray with vinegar, will they shrivel up and die?

Yes, it works. The vinegar then breaksdown quickly so it doesn't mess up the acidity levels in the soil

I use a pressure sprayer ( a little 1 gallon hand pump one). Fill with white vinegar (the strongest you can buy) then add some orange oil and a single drop of dishsoap. Works best when done on a hot sunny day. It seems to harm the protective layer on the leaf and it dehydrates it. For more stubborn weeds (like berry vines), cut the vine near the base and then pour vinegar into the "tube".

It sometimes takes more than one application (a few weeks apart). I also use corn glutemate (available at most nurseries). It inhibits the root growth in seeds--so now you don't get the new plants in the driveway either the corn glutemate also works wonders on your lawn as it also feeds it. Safe around the chickens too!

good luck
Sandra

Ok, then I'm going to have to try this one. I've got weeds giving me BIG problems ... probably adding to the ant problem. And I just had a little mouse run across my path today, and disappear into the weeds around the a/c.

That silly little kitten of mine isn't big enough to chase mice yet. I tried him. Oh well.

Oh, and btw Sandra, I saw you mentioned peppermint oil. I know you were wanting to read more on it. I did find it very effective in another house, mixed with water and sprayed around doors and windows, to keep outdoor roaches ... outdoors! I tried spraying it directly on one that came it, and it did die, but it took a while.

I don't know why you'd want to pay the extra $$$ for organic if you are using it to kill bugs. (Just trying to save you the $$, forgive me if you have good reason.) I just say that because we sell both kinds at the store, and the organic costs a good bit more. You use a TINY amount for bugs, and don't really contact or ingest it, so I thought I'd mention.

Good luck whatever you decide. Oh, and in case anyone's interested, citronella oil, even applied directly 100%, hasn't helped keep mosquitoes away. Strange, I thought it would.

I'm hoping the DE that arrived today will take care of these ants though, so that I don't have to move on to plan ... what am I up to? Plan E that would be, LOL.

But wanted to say thanks, I'm going to try that on weeds.

trish

RoyalHills,
Glad you mentioned the drying out part...

I used to add DE to my feed, but will never do it again. I had a lot of impacted crops and one necropsy showed the intestines were dried out. I think the DE asborbed the moisture in the crop and intefered with breaking down the feed pellets. I haven't had any problems since I quit putting DE in the feed.

I use DE in the nest boxes and under my shavings, in my coop with sand to sweeten it up when it gets smelly (I use lime outside), and in the coops or runs if I see any fire ants crawling across the sand (I use an orange oil, molasses, compost tea mixture for fire ant mounds).

I do put DE in my scratch grains for bug control, but I throw the scratch out on the ground and most of the DE flies away.

Hello all, I am a newbe to the world of chickens, and I have been reading this thread on the pros and cons of DE. I know I will need to use something to control mites on the birds, so If I choose to use food grade DE where can It be purchased from. I went to our local Purina Dealer and they did not have it, would the feed and seed store? I would appreciate all reponses from ya'll. Is it good or evil? Thanks

wow carla-

I've never heard that problem with DE! Perhaps I don't have that problem since I feed it to them moist. I found that the 2% in feed wasn't enough to deal with my worm issues and figured it was because they didn't eat enough of it. After all, they free range and barely touch the feed.

I'm going to keep my ears open and ask if anyone else feels they've had this problem.

I feed it to them now mixed with the "dinner leftover treats" and if I think it's too dry, I add just a tad of water. It has worked very well for me (and has done wonders for my elderly dog too).

You know- I wish I had the property to do my own little scientific research on DE. Altough I've had my own good luck with it and know many others that have....I'd like some more scientifically based, with stats and all, information. Someday, when I get to buy my big ranch......

OH and trish- If I had your ant invasion, I'd sprinkle the DE under the house and in the nooks and crannies inside the house. Do be careful about vacuuming it though...the powder is so fine, it easily will clog filters--not a huge issue if you know to check if more frequently when you are vaccuuming an area that's been sprinkled with DE.

Good luck
Sandra

Thanks, Sandra, I've already put a little out in the kitchen dusted the kitten (who HATED me doing it, but he's picky that way).

Thanks for mentioning the vacuuming issue. I didn't put any in the carpet, but I'm glad you said that. My vacuum has a cylinder filter that I have to clean every couple of times I vacuum ... it catches the very fine dust particles and gets clogged. I'll watch more closely if I have to put any DE in the carpet. Hopefully I won't have to ... the ants are in weird places, but not walking across the carpet (this week!).

The skin of my hands dries very easily (and I notice it easily, because I have a fiber business and I'm always handling fibers), and I was trying to notice if handling the DE made them dry out. My fingertips do seem like they might be a TINY bit drier. I think I'll give the kitten a little flax oil, and keep an eye on his skin too. No problems with worms in the chickens that I'm aware of, so I hadn't planned to feed them any at this time ... I'd be very interested to know also if others have had the problem with drying out intestines.

I need to talk to our egg lady. She raises tons of pastured chickens and eggs, grinds her own feed, and as far as I know has always used DE. I'd be interested in her experience as well, since she keeps her birds for at least a few years.

trish

I feed DE to my chickens as a worm preventative and I do feel it makes their poops dryer in general.

When I first started using DE, I only fed it to them, and I noticed a drop in flies in the coop...

I look forward to hearing what your neighbor (the egg lady) thinks about DE. Please let us know.

Sandra

I was hoping to ask Joyce about the DE on Saturday when she delivered eggs to the store, but her husband brought them in and we were very busy at that moment. I will remember to ask her the next chance I get (though it may be a little while) and I will post what she tells me.

I have to say it really helped the kitten though. The difference is AMAZING!

(About the flax oil, apparently it stank to him because he tried to bury it. I don't think he ate any.)

The fleas have been eating him up ever since we found him (late May). I've used lavender soap (which works, but you have to comb the half-dead fleas out and that took hours - and they come back soon - and I'm concerned about using lavender on a cat). I was about to use Eucalyptus soap, but never got around to it, so I used the DE.

You are going to think I am imagining it, but he's like a different cat after only a few days. My daughter commented last night about him being heavy, and he IS noticeably heavier than last week. Also, his chin is no longer crusty with scabs, and there is no more bloody flea dirt falling off of him. His coat is suddenly sleek and shiny.

Of course, he COULD have just hit a growth spurt. And maybe he did get a little flax oil which helped the coat. But ... what I do know for a fact is that the fleas are gone and the bathtub (he likes to sleep there) isn't full of dirty little bloodspots anymore.

I have wondered if perhaps he licked enough of the DE off his coat to possibly kill some worms he may have had. I'm just not sure. But I'm so surprised that he has actually noticeably gained weight. I'm not sure if killing fleas could help him gain weight.

At any rate, it has worked wonders for him. I've done the best I could for him since finding him abandoned as a 3 week old kitten, but he has never been really robust. He's starting to look a lot better now suddenly. I know it's only anecdotal, but I can't help but think that the DE helped.

Just had to comment on that.
smile.png

edited because I forgot to sign my name
roll.png

trish

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom