Diatomaceous earth.

The one thing it seems to do is kill off grain weevils which is why you see it in some commercial feeds.

Past that, I had an unopened bag of DE sitting around that I'd bought when I first gotten chickens (after researching I decided it was best to not use it), and after a few years it ended up getting dumped on an ant colony in my wood chip pile. The ants are gone (dead? left?) so it at least did something there.

I found red mites (hundreds of them) quite happily crawling around in the thick layer of DE I'd put under the bedding in the nestboxes. None were dead. It was horrible. That's the last time I used DE.

There are much better products that actually do the jobs that proponents of DE claim it 'might' do. I choose to use the most effective and reliable treatment if/when it is necessary and leave the chickens to enjoy life the rest of the time.

Hi, just wondering if diatomaceous earth is good for chickens respiratory system?And how often is it good to use? tnx
No it’s not good for anything. People like to claim it’s doing something because it’s so cheap but it’s an irritant, bad for their lungs, eyes, skin, feathers, does nothing to solve lice or mite issues, isn’t a dewormer at all. Don’t even bother. I’m so tired of this stuff still getting suggested fit every fix. It’s useless.

No it’s not good for anything. People like to claim it’s doing something because it’s so cheap but it’s an irritant, bad for their lungs, eyes, skin, feathers, does nothing to solve lice or mite issues, isn’t a dewormer at all. Don’t even bother. I’m so tired of this stuff still getting suggested fit every fix. It’s useless.

Back
Top Bottom