diatomaceous earth

Seth140

Chirping
Nov 6, 2021
I made a box of diatomaceous earth in coop because the one i put outside gets wet from rain. is that ok?

You don't want straight DE for their dust bath. I've added up to around 10% in our dust bath mix. DE is effective against pretty much any insect with an exoskeleton, as it basically dries out their shell to kill them; it has to stay dry though to work. All dry dust in general is a respiratory hazard if you breathe in enough of it.

DE is effective against pretty much any insect with an exoskeleton, as it basically dries out their shell to kill them; it has to stay dry though to work.
So the fable goes....onandonandonandon.

All dry dust in general is a respiratory hazard if you breathe in enough of it.
True (so is breathing water) but DE is especially dangerous.

I've seen claims DE is bad here on this forum, yet nobody seems to provide any specifics or experiences as to why it's so bad other than opinion. On the contrary I can find many posts, chicken guides, even scientific articles supporting the use and benefits of DE around chickens (for example: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0032579119420300)

In terms of lung damage - DE only really does its thing when dry and the lungs are a moist/wet environment, so I don't see why it's going to be significantly worse than mineral dirt dust that a chicken flings around when dust bathing on the natural ground. However I can understand calcined DE causing lung issues (the non-food-grade type used in pool filters), due to it's significantly higher % of crystalline silica, but for animals you should be using food-grade/natural DE as it contains a very low % of crystalline silica. Perhaps some people are using the calcined version?

Heck, it's even an ingredient in commercially produced chicken feed (anticoagulant and pest control for stuff like weevils)

I've seen claims DE is bad here on this forum, yet nobody seems to provide any specifics or experiences as to why it's so bad other than opinion. On the contrary I can find many posts, chicken guides, even scientific articles supporting the use and benefits of DE around chickens (for example: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0032579119420300)

In terms of lung damage - DE only really does its thing when dry and the lungs are a moist/wet environment, so I don't see why it's going to be significantly worse than mineral dirt dust that a chicken flings around when dust bathing on the natural ground. However I can understand calcined DE causing lung issues (the non-food-grade type used in pool filters), due to it's significantly higher % of crystalline silica, but for animals you should be using food-grade/natural DE as it contains a very low % of crystalline silica. Perhaps some people are using the calcined version?

Heck, it's even an ingredient in commercially produced chicken feed (anticoagulant and pest control for stuff like weevils)
I mixed this into the dirt under the coop on the top layer just recently, as I just hadn't run across any negative threads or articles on it before hand. All I saw was it was beneficial. Now I'm torn on removing it, but like you I've not seen any posts where it harmed any of their flock. The top layer was a big wheelbarrow full of probably somewhere of 6 to 8 parts dirt to 1 part DE powder.

What to do?

Edit... I just erred on the side of caution and removed all the dirt mixed with DE from under the coop and mixed some sand/dirt to replace it. It was twice as hard getting that back out as it was putting under there. I saw how it reacted on the shovel I left out last night I used to mix it. The dirt and DE dried hard to the point I had to scrape it. Couldn't just whack the shovel against a tree and get it to fall off. It can't be good in the lungs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom