Diatomaceous Earth

graphicgranny

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 18, 2011
Ashford, Washington
I receved a catalog for chicken supplies and in it they suggest you add DE to your chicken's feed as well as sprinkling it in the hen house. Has any one done this? Is it necessary? Would it really be benefical to add it to the feed? My chickens are very healthy and we already give them crushed egg shell? I have used this before in my flower beds to control slugs but not for anything else.

Many use food grade DE in their coops and dust bathing areas to help prevent mites. I do. I've never sprinkled in on their feed though. It's fossilized matter,so in theory it cuts through the soft bodies of tiny mites/other tiny insects. My girls have never had lice/mites, but that could be coincidence
idunno.gif
I think some try to use it in food to help prevent worms. But I've read that it won't work that way - not sure if that's correct or not...

How often do you use DE? I have a healthy small flock, all under a year, but wonder if I should periodically use the DE in their run.. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
DE is the best thing since sliced bread. My husband and I ingest 1 tablespoon a day and it has helped our joints and has helped to lower my cholesterol. You need to have food grade only. Do a study on the internet to understand how it can be very helpful with different health issues. It works well as a colon cleanse. Once your colon is clean, your nutrients are absorbed better as well as digestion restored to proper levels. No more constipation. I don't have to use cream rinse in my hair anymore. I no longer have to use lotions either. I had a huge problem with dry cracked heels and no longer have that problem. We use the DE in our chicks nesting boxes and dusting areas. We also use it to keep bugs down in our rabbitry. We give 1/2 tsp daily to our dog that has joint problems and I think it is helping her. We no longer have to put those drops on our pets to prevent fleas and ticks. The DE helps rid them and it has no chemicals. I never will stop taking this until I die. It's that good!!!

Back
Top Bottom