Did I accidently make a sex link?

Hannahnic14

Crowing
Apr 29, 2021
Middle Tennessee
So this little one is a result of my Crevecour hen and several possible fathers.......

Barred rock
Bielefelder
Dark Brahma

I am 100% sure it's my crevecour that the mom, she was my only white egg layer that was laying at that moment and her eggs are quite small and easy to identify.

I have included pics of just hatched and now several weeks old. I didn't think I had the barred rock rooster long enough for him to fertilize but the barring on this chick is interesting! Also I've seen the white dot on top of the head in some auto sexing breeds. I'm probably way off track but though it was interesting to share! What are your thoughts??

3 days old
20220101_113605.jpg
20220101_113618.jpg

2 weeks old
20220111_102300.jpg

20220111_102304.jpg

3 weeks old - current
20220119_081731.jpg

Attachments

• 20220119_081734.jpg
    20220119_081734.jpg
    354.3 KB · Views: 3
Yes you did! Barred rock mixed with other breeds makes sex links! haha! please show older pics when all grown up!
Only if the mother was Barred, & was mated by a solid(Not Barred) Rooster produces Sex-links.

Barred Rock rooster X Solid hen = All Barred offspring. Theres no sex linking.

Updated pictures on the wee one! 4 weeks old today I believe. Probably a rooster but I don't care

So this little one is a result of my Crevecour hen and several possible fathers.......

Barred rock
Bielefelder
Dark Brahma

I am 100% sure it's my crevecour that the mom, she was my only white egg layer that was laying at that moment and her eggs are quite small and easy to identify.
I don't know about the gender, but I can tell you the Brahma was not the father. The Brahma would have feathered legs and no barring, but the chick has clean legs and white barring.

With the mother being Crevecoeur (black), the father could have been either the Barred Rock or the Bielefelder. Either one could give you white barring on the chick, and either one could give you the clean legs.

If the chick grows up to have some red or gold showing in the feathers, then Bielefelder was most likely the father. If the chick grows up have only black and white in the feathers, then it's more likely to have the Barred Rock father (likely, but not certain.)

Last edited:
The chick should not have a rose comb from any combination of those parent breeds.
Crevecoeur (mother) = V comb
Brahma (not-father) = pea comb
Barred Rock (possible father) = single comb
Bielefelder (possible father) = single comb

(I would have expected to see a v-comb on the chick, and I don't, so maybe the mother does not have the right comb for her breed? Or she might carry the recessive gene for not-V comb.)
Oh shoot, you're right. I swear i saw Dominique and not bielfielder.

I agree with the vcomb though, my birds with 1 Vgene all had little stars on their combs from hatch

Update on the chick.
Now that i think back the only other white egg layer I had was my blue andalusian. So if it's her chick, and it turns out to be a girl, I did do some sexlink magic with the barred rock! Because the boys would be blue like mom. (If I understand sex linking correctly)
It does look to be a pullet at this point!
Exactly 8 weeks old now
20220221_132452.jpg
20220221_132455.jpg

Back
Top Bottom