Did I get a Roo? No Tail Feathers. No Eggs.

Bock-Bock-Bagock

Chirping
Oct 6, 2023
Central Tennessee
I got two Barnyard breed "pullets" back in November. They should have been about 10 weeks (roughly) at the middle to end of November. One of them (Kiwi) started laying eggs at the start of February. So far I do not believe Pinapple here has started laying eggs. I'm starting to get concerned because Pinapple is much larger. But because they were just randomly bred I'm not sure they are even the same parents. Pinapple does not have the tail feathers normally associated with a rooster. But I'm not sure if that's a universal thing for a rooster to even have.
So currently I have separated Pinapple from the rest of the flock for a few reasons.
1. I believe Pinapple injured my Easter Egger (Chives). Chives now has an injured leg and isn't able to stand on it. She still insists on leaving the coop, but she huddles in a pile of leaves and chills.
2. I saw Pinapple plucking out Chives' neck feathers. None of the others are bullying Chives, so I separated the bully for a bit.
3. I wanted to make sure if an egg is laid I can assign it to a specific bird. So if Pinapple is solo I can be 100% sure it's her egg.

So I'm wondering if this looks like a large lady bird or a boy?

Attachments

• PXL_20240221_224354649.jpg
    PXL_20240221_224354649.jpg
    684.5 KB · Views: 59
  • PXL_20240221_224415566.jpg
    PXL_20240221_224415566.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20240221_224429241.jpg
    PXL_20240221_224429241.jpg
    432.4 KB · Views: 19
  • PXL_20240221_224439310.jpg
    PXL_20240221_224439310.jpg
    791.4 KB · Views: 23
  • PXL_20240221_224443496.jpg
    PXL_20240221_224443496.jpg
    1,000.6 KB · Views: 23
I got two Barnyard breed "pullets" back in November. They should have been about 10 weeks (roughly) at the middle to end of November. One of them (Kiwi) started laying eggs at the start of February. So far I do not believe Pinapple here has started laying eggs. I'm starting to get concerned because Pinapple is much larger. But because they were just randomly bred I'm not sure they are even the same parents. Pinapple does not have the tail feathers normally associated with a rooster. But I'm not sure if that's a universal thing for a rooster to even have.
So currently I have separated Pinapple from the rest of the flock for a few reasons.
1. I believe Pinapple injured my Easter Egger (Chives). Chives now has an injured leg and isn't able to stand on it. She still insists on leaving the coop, but she huddles in a pile of leaves and chills.
2. I saw Pinapple plucking out Chives' neck feathers. None of the others are bullying Chives, so I separated the bully for a bit.
3. I wanted to make sure if an egg is laid I can assign it to a specific bird. So if Pinapple is solo I can be 100% sure it's her egg.

So I'm wondering if this looks like a large lady bird or a boy?
He's a roo 🐓 ;)

How do you identify it as a boy? The size had me thinking boy. Not been crowing yet. I know the wattle and comb are supposed to be a sign too, but I don't know what a large one looks like compared to a small when I can't compare breed specific.
Look at his saddle region and you can see the pointy and glossy saddle feathers coming in.
A females' saddle feathers are rounded and not as glossy

Look at his saddle region and you can see the pointy and glossy saddle feathers coming in.
A females' saddle feathers are rounded and not as glossy
I think I see what you are talking about. Kinda like the feathers are less full, more wirey? I was looking at the neck feathers and thinking the way they looked made me think of a male. Like spikey almost, if that makes sense.
I'm assuming the leg injury on Chives probably came from him attempting to mate with her.
At some point in the future, after building a large run, I'll let him make babies.

Back
Top Bottom