Did I get bantam chicks?

Madisan

Songster
7 Years
Jun 5, 2015
Florida
Hi guys,
So I got 3 barred rock chicks from a guy who breeds chickens full time. He has every type of chicken you could probably think of. I was told they were hatched on October 15th and today is the 24th. But they are still the same size as when I got them? I have had them a week today and supposedly they were already 4 days old when I got them. Am I just being impatient? I have 3 week old chicks already in a different brooder and I got them when they were a week old and I remember them being a lot bigger and they are already huge compared to a week ago. And the barred rock chicks still have all of their baby down with tiny wings. I know they have a bantam size barred rock. Do you think they sound like bantams? I mean they are 9 days old and look like they were hatched yesterday... Thanks !

I have no experience with Barred Rocks (bantam or standard) but I do have OEG bantams. The bantam chicks are of course tiny but they feather out, race around, and start fluttering/flying at a much younger age than the standard laying breeds.

Perhaps Barred Rocks are slower to develop than some other breeds? I did buy two heritage RIR chicks this summer and I was shocked at how slow they were to develop, they grew but they were all down at 5 weeks old.

Last edited:
Are they pure bred? If so, you might have gotten the "runts", the chicks that lack vigor...

If not purebred, then chances of who-knows-what-roo-over-which-hen and random crosses are the result.

Bantams do stay smaller, feather in slower. I currently have a brood if 7 week olds, with one bantam Cochin/red Star cross chick( my Cochin wanted ONE chick, I guess lol), and her chick us very slow growing, and teeny compared to the broodmates just 3 weeks younger.

Crossing a standard with a bantam will most likely result is a small standard sized chicken, or a large bantam ;)

Yes I'm sure they are purebred. This guy had all his different breeds separated into different pens. He had a total of 22 barred rock chicks when I went to go get my 3. Maybe they are slow to develope? I've never thought of that. Or maybe I did get the runts? Who knows lol. But they act just like the others. Running around, pecking and learning to scratch the ground. If I did get the runts does that affect them any? Or does that just slow their development?

Well I looked up to see if they were slow developers and some people said theirs developed fast and others were in the same boat as me
1f616.png
so I guess only time will tell.

Well I looked up to see if they were slow developers and some people said theirs developed fast and others were in the same boat as me
1f616.png
so I guess only time will tell.
well I have an easteregger same age as the test and almost half the size as the others less than 4 months and a barred rock at same age has grown rapidly mot huge but good sized

I think I'm just being impatient. But they are definitely growing slower than other chicks I've raised

Some birds do grow slower my barred rock is the same age as my EE's about 4 months she is bigger and my sexlinks are the same age and there fully grown just about I'm trying myself to figure she to replace 2 chica back 1 was suck and the other was the runt I imagine and didn't get to eat much have had her in for a week big difference patience its all learning my Rir rooster is the same age as my 4 month old sexlinks and he is huge good luck were are you from

Back
Top Bottom