Did I get swindled?

Beautiful boys but I’m sorry you had such bad luck :hugs

I used to get my birds from Meyer Hatchery and Ideal Poultry and both were fantastic and always got my order right. You might try them next time.

I hear Murray McMurray and Cackle are good too.

Some order from My Pet Chicken but idk the quality. I’ve heard pretty good things though. But I don’t think they breed their own. I think they source from other hatcheries. Idk for sure about that though.

I have been raising these guys since they were two days old. They are now almost 8 months old. I ordered all females, and obviously it didn’t shake out that way but I still love them. They are supposed to be barred rocks and partridge rocks but I don’t know enough about chickens to confirm or deny that’s what they really are. This is my first flock. I’ve had people I really trust say they are all roosters. And I’ve had people I trust say there are some hens in the mix.
Only two of them crow (Jalapeño and Freckles). No one lays (or if they are they are hiding their stash). And no one mounts (at least not in my presence).
Any chance I have any hens? Or was I swindled and given all roosters?
View attachment 3596366View attachment 3596368View attachment 3596367View attachment 3596370View attachment 3596390View attachment 3596391View attachment 3596392
Where are you located?

If you truly want to teach your daughter about having to take care of chickens, then you need to understand that culling is a big and important part of chicken-keeping that you cannot leave out of your teaching. The chicken world is cruel and that's just how it is. However, you don't have to cull your cockerels unless you don't want to take care of them or they turn aggressive.
I completely agree, but she’s 1 lol Let’s save that lesson when she can comprehend a little better.
We have had to cull 3 over the last 8 months. I have no problem with it, but she’s just starting to sleep through the night. I don’t need to teach her what killing is/introduce nightmares hahaha

I completely agree, but she’s 1 lol Let’s save that lesson when she can comprehend a little better.
We have had to cull 3 over the last 8 months. I have no problem with it, but she’s just starting to sleep through the night. I don’t need to teach her what killing is/introduce nightmares hahaha
If you are able to rid yourself of the roosters.
I'd get a small group of Bantam Cochin hens, if you aren't interested in lots of eggs. They are calm and would be great with bonding with your 1-year-old. They eat a lot less food.
It's only my opinion so take it or leave it. ;) A group of roosters like that is going to cost a lot of money in feed for nothing.

That makes sense; I have to admit I understand where you're coming from. I am curious, though . . . you say that you culled three other cockerels. Did you get any pullets from the same brood? I suppose not, since you are saying that now you have only cockerels.

If you are able to rid yourself of the roosters.
I'd get a small group of Bantam Cochin hens, if you aren't interested in lots of eggs. They are calm and would be great with bonding with your 2-year-old. They eat a lot less food.
It's only my opinion so take it or leave it. ;) A group of roosters like that is going to cost a lot of money in feed for nothing.
I agree! Any bantam breed I would suggest due to them not needing much space, water, or food, and they produce less poop. My bantams all have extraordinary flight abilities, I have no doubt they would escape a predator easily. The only exception to that is my Blue Cochin Bantam cockerel, Slate, who often trips over his feet feathers and can't fly as well as the others.

Back
Top Bottom