Did I get swindled?

I'm still new to this game, but I'm not seeing the impressive cape feathers on Bennie. Am I just missing them?
Bennie's saddle feathers are a bit sparser than some of the others, hackles are pretty obvious if you zoom in and study his neck, and he also has a bit of spotty red leakage on neck and wing which is a male trait.

I have been raising these guys since they were two days old. They are now almost 8 months old. I ordered all females, and obviously it didn’t shake out that way but I still love them. They are supposed to be barred rocks and partridge rocks but I don’t know enough about chickens to confirm or deny that’s what they really are. This is my first flock. I’ve had people I really trust say they are all roosters. And I’ve had people I trust say there are some hens in the mix.
Only two of them crow (Jalapeño and Freckles). No one lays (or if they are they are hiding their stash). And no one mounts (at least not in my presence).
Any chance I have any hens? Or was I swindled and given all roosters?
View attachment 3596366View attachment 3596368View attachment 3596367View attachment 3596370View attachment 3596390View attachment 3596391View attachment 3596392
Every single one is a boy. Some very beautiful boys (cause the boys are prettier).

As a rule of thumb, pointy saddle feathers, pointy mantle feathers, sleek feathers (almost metalic/wet looking)...rooster.

Hens feathers are rounded and patterns either transition or have a simple continuity.

You were swindled. But with no Hens to fight over, they won't kill each other.

They are definitely all cockerels. Tractor Supply is the worst when it comes to gender, breed, and species mix-ups. Yes, you heard me right, even species mix-ups. I have seen ducklings in chicken bins. And not to mention the employees' lack of any chicken knowledge. I suggest to buy chicks from Murray McMurray next time.
On the upside, they will give you the money back. They won't take the roosters though.

I agree, that is the good side to this. I am unsure if @Notgoodatchickens wanted hens for eggs, though.
I’m actually allergic to eggs but got chickens to teach my daughter about taking care of animals and where food comes from. The boys love her and associate her with treats and follow her like baby ducks but she’s not even two so I don’t really want to kill the roosters to teach her about where food comes from so now we basically have a bunch of loud useless pets lol

I’m actually allergic to eggs but got chickens to teach my daughter about taking care of animals and where food comes from. The boys love her and associate her with treats and follow her like baby ducks but she’s not even two so I don’t really want to kill the roosters to teach her about where food comes from so now we basically have a bunch of loud useless pets lol
If you truly want to teach your daughter about having to take care of chickens, then you need to understand that culling is a big and important part of chicken-keeping that you cannot leave out of your teaching. The chicken world is cruel and that's just how it is. However, you don't have to cull your cockerels unless you don't want to take care of them or they turn aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom