1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Did I order too early in the year?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Meesh, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Meesh

Meesh Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    I ordered my chicks from Ideal, to be delivered at the end of March. Reading some of the posts, I am worried now that it's still too early for the trip. Should I push the ship date further back into April?

I was advised by a person who raises chickens in Colorado to get them shipped to me just before Easter, so that's why I picked that time.

Thanks,
    Michelle

2. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    I dont know where your at...... but I'm up in Alaska and got a shippment of 25 on monday. As long as you maintain the recommended temperatures you'll be fine.

3. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    Where are you at?

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Got an order from MM and it was cold that day and they all made it fine. I lost three chicks yesterday, two escaped from their brooder and got chilled and the other one died due to chicks piling against her.

I think you will be fine with Ideal....I've ordered chicks from them in Jan and Feb and never lost any standards so far. The ones I lose are the ones I am to blame for their deaths.

Illinois here.

5. yankeemtfarm

yankeemtfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2007
    Gettysburg,Pa
    I think all hatcheries try to do the best they can, they play the odds. Ship what people order and try to do the best.
    As soon as the chicks leave the the hatcheries, it is out of there control. up to USPS.
    Some are great,some not so good.
    BA

6. Meesh

Meesh Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    I am in furthest south Colorado, just a few miles from NM - growing zone is 6B if that helps any. I need to update my profile!

Cheers,
    Michelle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by