Did I order too early in the year?

Meesh

Songster
11 Years
Feb 12, 2008
Rocky Mountains
I ordered my chicks from Ideal, to be delivered at the end of March. Reading some of the posts, I am worried now that it's still too early for the trip. Should I push the ship date further back into April?

I was advised by a person who raises chickens in Colorado to get them shipped to me just before Easter, so that's why I picked that time.

Thanks,
Michelle

Got an order from MM and it was cold that day and they all made it fine. I lost three chicks yesterday, two escaped from their brooder and got chilled and the other one died due to chicks piling against her.

I think you will be fine with Ideal....I've ordered chicks from them in Jan and Feb and never lost any standards so far. The ones I lose are the ones I am to blame for their deaths.

Illinois here.

I think all hatcheries try to do the best they can, they play the odds. Ship what people order and try to do the best.
As soon as the chicks leave the the hatcheries, it is out of there control. up to USPS.
Some are great,some not so good.
BA

I am in furthest south Colorado, just a few miles from NM - growing zone is 6B if that helps any. I need to update my profile!

Cheers,
Michelle

Back
Top Bottom