Did I really just hatch 3 roosters šŸ˜­

Thank you! I have no idea who the mother is to any of these babies but the father is a lavendar orphington, I was surprised to see so little of his coloring especially since none of my hens are solid black.

I have silver laced, golden laced, and red black laced wyandotte hens along with chocolate orphington and the columbian wyandotte in the photo who went broody. All the eggs were different shades and sizes so I assumed I had gathered eggs from everyone to have different looking chicks but that didn't turn out
Both parents have to at least carry lavender to even have a chance of the chicks showing it. Otherwise it will just present as black

the father is a lavendar orphington, I was surprised to see so little of his coloring especially since none of my hens are solid black.
That's pretty normal when crossing a lavender chicken to other colors.

Genetically, a lavender chicken is the same as a black chicken, except that the black is turned to a gray shade. The chicks inherite the black, and they each get one copy of the lavender gene. Because lavender is recessive, it does not show, so you see black chicks.

If you cross those black females back to their father, about half of their chicks should be lavender, and the other half will be black.

I have silver laced, golden laced, and red black laced wyandotte hens along with chocolate orphington and the columbian wyandotte in the photo who went broody. All the eggs were different shades and sizes so I assumed I had gathered eggs from everyone to have different looking chicks but that didn't turn out

If you want a variety of colors in your chicks, you will need a different rooster.

Since the father is an Orpington, he must have a single comb. That means the chicks wit with rose combs came from mothers who have rose combs. The ones with single combs might have single comb mothers, or might also have rose comb mothers.

All of my hens except the one chocolate orphington have rose combs. Would the chicks showing silver streaks be safe to say they probably came from the silver laced hens?

All of my hens except the one chocolate orphington have rose combs.
So unless you hatched multiple eggs from the Orpington hen, you have at least one rose comb hen who also has the gene for not-rose (single comb).

Would the chicks showing silver streaks be safe to say they probably came from the silver laced hens?
Not necessarily. They probably do have a mother with lacing, but the silver color might come from the Lavender Orpington father. Many black, blue, or lavender chickens have the silver gene.

Back
Top Bottom