Did I waste my money?

Pics
Cedar chips/ mulch gives off a gas that chickens can't expel due to the avian type of respiratory system. It is toxic and will kill them. In the run I use free woodchips from my local tree service. They'll dump a truckload whenever they are working nearby. Inside the coop I use pine shavings.

Not complaining here, my guy mows & does gutters:love! I feed him and do roses and tomatoes, & soon some chickens again. But, one reason to have chickens is the poop! Nice bedding to keep it safe to go on the plants is part of the plan. Here, pine needles are free. They are even sold in bales as "pine straw". They last a long time in a chicken run, and I have not seen them get moldy. Maybe in a wet bale in the heat? I like using peat moss in my garden, Prescott has a lot of rock and sand, where it is not clay! I want to put some peat moss in my chicken house, just for the manure holding properties.
I have seen pine needles posted but have not found it. It's been so dang wet here all the pine mulch has been molded. I might try an actual green house place instead, I'm still worrying myself about the cedar!

Cedar chips/ mulch gives off a gas that chickens can't expel due to the avian type of respiratory system. It is toxic and will kill them. In the run I use free woodchips from my local tree service. They'll dump a truckload whenever they are working nearby. Inside the coop I use pine shavings.
My cedar is outside not in my coop.

Back
Top Bottom