1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Did molting fix her "sprayer"?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by debid, Dec 5, 2012.

1. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I have this pretty splash Marans that is barely a year old and her eggs last summer were brown with heavy black splotches. She surprised me by molting with the older hens and I discovered today that she's the first to return to the nest box with the light I added (even though she hasn't completed her molt!) Anyway, her eggs are the same size and shape as always but now they're dark brown with only a tiny bit of brown speckling, no splotches at all. Has anyone else had a hen even her egg color out like that? I know it happens sometimes with new layers but I didn't think it was possible to have such a dramatic change at this point. Or, will she go back to splotches later in her laying cycle? I didn't get her until she was ~9 months old so I don't know what her eggs looked like when she first started laying.

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Sounds like her painter has been repaired :)

Yes - it's normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by