Did my chick eggs die?

I checked a few candled them I see movement but I do worry about my humidity. My gage I don't think is working right but I had added a extra water dish in the bater a few days ago when I was trying to raise the humidity. My bater windows don't fog up as much like what I have seen in hatching videos I read on one post if I'm worried about the humidity to mist the eggs with warm water?

My bator windows don't fog up at all. I don't know about misting them. I put wet sponges in mine, worked like a charm and it was easier to just open the bator enough to grab the sponge out, wet it and stick it back in. Kept my humidity up good too.
Another thing I was curious about when I see a lot of late hatching posts if the time of year would even be a factor. I know that my eggs are in the bater but if the temps outside were cold when I gathered them maybe it delayed the process?? Just brain storming
I don't think it should have. The 'process' doesn't start until the eggs are warm enough to start the incubation process if I understan it right. As a matter of fact as a trial I used two refrigerated eggs in my last hatch to see if they would develope because I read that someone incubated refrigerated eggs and I was a little unbelieving, but both eggs developed. One was an early quitter but that one had a large irregular air cell from the beginning. The other developed all the way on time.

Great that there is movement! Just give it a little more time. I know it's so stressfull from lockdown to hatch. Chances are they are just a bit delayed due to a lower average temp than recommended for a still air.
fl.gif
hopefully you'll have pips before you know it. :)

Another thing I was curious about when I see a lot of late hatching posts if the time of year would even be a factor. I know that my eggs are in the bater but if the temps outside were cold when I gathered them maybe it delayed the process?? Just brain storming
I wondered the same thing. I am on my 3rd hatch since cold weather came where we live and am just struggling. My first two hatches developed but the chicks died before hatching. So, I am like you, wondering if the cold is really putting a damper on my humidity levels as I have been struggling keeping them right also. I have 8 silver laced wyandottes set to hatch TODAY, but nothing going on. They were rocking on day 18 and 19 but now are doing absolutely nothing. So I guess my question to everyone would be does it take chicks longer to hatch in the winter??

Same thing here my eggs wiggle but no signs of hatching at all. I really don't want them to die :-/ I'm keeping my fingers crossed.. I canceled two yesterday they are moving they arnt dead yet but no signs of piping

I tried to look some stuff up :-/ first hand is alwYs the best :-/ they stopped moving though :-( I held my light up to one and the air sack was huge but no more movement :-/ if only cracking them open wasn't a bad thing lol I have been so excited for them to hatch.. Any other advice?

I tried to look some stuff up :-/ first hand is alwYs the best :-/ they stopped moving though :-( I held my light up to one and the air sack was huge but no more movement :-/ if only cracking them open wasn't a bad thing lol I have been so excited for them to hatch.. Any other advice?
If they have internally pipped, when you candle you can see the shadow of the beak jutting into the air cell. You can often hear them peeping inside there once they have internally pipped, though some are quieter than others and it can be pretty muffled until they pip the outer shell.

Hatch day is also determined by egg size. My very first hatch I had banty eggs, EE eggs and marans eggs in together. Most of the banties hatched on day 18/19; the EE eggs hatched day 19/20 and the marans eggs were the last, hatching on day 22. I was using an aquarium thermometer so my temps were wonky the whole way through. Also, while humidity is important, too much can drown them inside the shell. I would think having fog on the window means there's too much. In my first hatch, the early babies had hatched just a day after filling the second pool in my bator bottom, so I don't think it's too critical if the humidity is a little on the low side. I've also had both pools dry out during lockdown for as much as 12 hours at a time and never had a problem.

I haven't had a foggy window on mine just saw videos online where people's batters were fogged I didn't know if that was normal. But if I do get an internal peep can I do anything or no?

I haven't had a foggy window on mine just saw videos online where people's batters were fogged I didn't know if that was normal. But if I do get an internal peep can I do anything or no?
I THINK a lot of the videos you are seeing that the windows are foggy are after the chicks start to hatch, yes? I've seen a couple (always in the plastic bators) during hatch they have a little moisture. When chicks start hatching the humidity naturally rises and I THINK that's when you see the "fog" or moisture on them. There really isn't anything you can do until they start hatching without jeopardizing the chick. But if you can see the internal pip you know (that if they are still alive) they are making progress. Also if they have internally pipped and you lightly tap the air cell you may hear a peep back. But, if you candle and there are NO internal pips in the eggs you can water candle.

Back
Top Bottom