Did Not Inspect Hens Prior to Purchase - Were Abused

Anna Lewis

In the Brooder
Jul 20, 2021
I purchased two hens from a large farm, via Craiglist, an Australorp and Leghorn mix. When we got on the road a putrid smell emminated powerfully, and my husband who grew up on a farm said it was the smell of rotting animal carcus and feces. We got them home and moved the baby chicks out of my walk in closet that hosted their brooder, and now it's a temporary place for the hens to stay warm following their bath. Both hens were washed one at a time with dawn in a large sink with warm water in the mud room.

We learnt that the Austrolorp's wings were cut to a point it would be painful, observed no poo accumulation, sores or swelling, or picking or bugs, but the chest and stomach areas are bare. I referenced a posting on this site about being broody and loosing feathers, and the previous owner did state that both of the hens have become broody.

Attached are some photos, please let me know what I should watch out for in specific terms.

The hens are eating. I'll send updates on the poo, energy levels, etc tomorrow if not tonight, but will check back tonight in case there is important information for me.

My closet was housing baby chicks in a homemade brooder that includes a mini play house that they've come to enjoy so it was working out great, but I was looking forward to soon getting my closet back as they are just about ready to be moved into the brooder in the coop, but now my closet is housing chickens that I pray to the Dear Lord are OK and just broody.

Here is the post I referenced about broodiness and loosing stomach and chest feathers:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/missing-feathers-on-belly.533332/

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    1,020.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    500.5 KB · Views: 22
I purchased two hens from a large farm, via Craiglist, an Australorp and Leghorn mix. When we got on the road a putrid smell emminated powerfully, and my husband who grew up on a farm said it was the smell of rotting animal carcus and feces. We got them home and moved the baby chicks out of my walk in closet that hosted their brooder, and now it's a temporary place for the hens to stay warm following their bath. Both hens were washed one at a time with dawn in a large sink with warm water in the mud room.

We learnt that the Austrolorp's wings were cut to a point it would be painful, observed no poo accumulation, sores or swelling, or picking or bugs, but the chest and stomach areas are bare. I referenced a posting on this site about being broody and loosing feathers, and the previous owner did state that both of the hens have become broody.

Attached are some photos, please let me know what I should watch out for in specific terms.

The hens are eating. I'll send updates on the poo, energy levels, etc tomorrow if not tonight, but will check back tonight in case there is important information for me.

My closet was housing baby chicks in a homemade brooder that includes a mini play house that they've come to enjoy so it was working out great, but I was looking forward to soon getting my closet back as they are just about ready to be moved into the brooder in the coop, but now my closet is housing chickens that I pray to the Dear Lord are OK and just broody.

Here is the post I referenced about broodiness and loosing stomach and chest feathers:

I would definitely quarantine the chickens and keep them far away from your chicks in case they have a disease.

I would definitely quarantine the chickens and keep them far away from your chicks in case they have a disease.
They are quarantined, the poop looks normal, and now that they are all dry they look normal accept for their stomachs. I'm working on getting them a vet appointment. My husband is furious and wants me to ask animal welfare to do a wellness check on that farm. The biggest thing is they no longer smell like carcass. Word of warning to anyone buying chickens, inspect them and I'll always be weary of large animal farms. I would rather raise my own chickens and ensure they have the best start in life and are happy and healthy. This has been so horrible and draining. Things happen for a reason, I don't regret getting them either.

They are quarantined, the poop looks normal, and now that they are all dry they look normal accept for their stomachs. I'm working on getting them a vet appointment. My husband is furious and wants me to ask animal welfare to do a wellness check on that farm. The biggest thing is they no longer smell like carcass. Word of warning to anyone buying chickens, inspect them and I'll always be weary of large animal farms. I would rather raise my own chickens and ensure they have the best start in life and are happy and healthy. This has been so horrible and draining. Things happen for a reason, I don't regret getting them either.
You should absolutely call animal welfare. No animal should be subject to that. 😞

Can you post some photos of the hens in natural lighting and when they are dry?
Photos of their feet too?

Thanks!

Can you post some photos of the hens in natural lighting and when they are dry?
Photos of their feet too?

Thanks!
Here are some photos from today. I'll snap a photo of their feet close up in a few days, they are so relaxed today and cumfy around me, I didn't want to disturb them.

The hens are doing very well and are healthy, are just molting and broody. The leghorn is our rooster's favorite, and they are overall accepted/tolerated. The chicken coop needed cleaning today so they were forced to spend more time outside, which I realized was good for them, and they've been babysitting the chicks, so it's worked out actually quite lovely. The main gate is open today, the other hens have left the caged area except for these ladies, which is just fine.

I think they will be just fine. Attached are more photos of the chicks who've been able to spend the day learning to graze and playing outside, thanks to the two motherly hens looking over them.

Attachments

• Australorp.jpg
    Australorp.jpg
    448.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Leghorn Mix.jpg
    Leghorn Mix.jpg
    461 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210730_141319.jpg
    20210730_141319.jpg
    481.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210730_141257.jpg
    20210730_141257.jpg
    648 KB · Views: 10
They look good all cleaned up! They may have been broody. Or they may not have had a clean place to roost, so they slept on a dirty, hard floor.

If you haven't already, I'd check for lice/mites. Those will do a number on feathers.

And good for you for rescuing them (that's really what you did by taking them off that farm)! My rescue hen is a joy, even though her looks never recovered.

I spoke with a gentleman from animal control who stated that he was going to check on things and see what's going on. The hens are fine, thank goodness.

That's a tricky call, especially if you only saw (see) the two birds you have now. If, however, you saw all the other birds that they might have had in horrible conditions, then that's a different story...

Your birds look much better now that they've had a bath. I suspect the missing feathers were the result of boredom or overcrowding where they were kept, and there's a good chance they'll grow back in.

Make sure you get back to Wyorp Rock for sound advice with them moving forward.

Back
Top Bottom