Did she get sprained?

cluckyMcChicky

In the Brooder
Jun 13, 2016
nebraska
Hi! New to this site and new chicken owner here. I'm concerned about one of my ladies, last night we had a pretty rough storm in our area and my little chicken, she's maybe3-4 months old now, got wedged between a stump in the run and the coop. We thought she was lost and so I didn't find her until this afternoon. She was stuck there for at least 16 hours or more. Once I got her unstuck I noticed her legs weren't quite right and she's having trouble walking. I'm wondering if she maybe sprained her leg from being stuck or if she pulled a muscle? And what can I do for her. She has only recently been reintroduced back into the flock after being treated for sour crop and I'd hate to separate her again. Thank you so much!

Welcome to BYC. This can be a common injury, and the pressure against her body and her possibly fighting to get loose might have caused some damage to tissue or nerves. The best thing for her is to cage her with food and water, and leave her with the flock outside and inside. A chick chair or sling may get her up sitting, and those can be fitted into a dog crate. Make sure first, that she is eating and drinking on her own. Let us know how she gets along.

Last edited:
we kind of just let her walk it off. for the first hour we assisted her to stand amd straighten her legs but after a while she was doing fine.
unfortunately this morning we lost her amd several other ladies to a predator :(

Back
Top Bottom