Did she lay an egg

If I click "reply" on two different posts, both will get quoted in the reply.
If I then delete parts of both, I can end up with effects like that.

(If I mess with the option to "toggle BB code," I can see the actual bits of code that tell what should be attributed to who, which I usually find more cumbersome, but easier to fix if it does weird things. The strange effects happen when it's showing the quote in a nice blue box, and it makes assumptions about how to handle it as I delete and add things.)
Um. Thanks, I think. Actually, this is over my pay grade, lol. :lau

No egg or squatting or interest in the nesting box 😕 but her comb and waddles are really beg and red. Starting to loose hope.
4E7D37A3-FBAF-4411-9D9F-1A49C6658DD5.jpeg
24B79A5D-0E7E-42A2-844C-0A9456F36608.jpeg

No egg or squatting or interest in the nesting box 😕 but her comb and waddles are really beg and red. Starting to loose hope.

Have you checked her butt?

The vent of a laying hen looks different from a non-laying hen, and the change shows up a little before they start laying. (Small puckered vent on chick, rooster, non-laying hen. Wider, stretchy-looking, moister vent on laying hen or one that's almost ready to lay.)

You can also feel the tips of the pubic bones, on each side of the vent but a bit below it. They get lower and farther apart as she gets ready to lay, and close up again if she quits laying (molting or broody.)

There's also an article about it:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Based on your picture, I would think she is close to laying, or she might already be laying and hiding the eggs somewhere. But chickens are good at keeping us guessing, so she could also keep you waiting for a while longer.

Have you checked her butt?

The vent of a laying hen looks different from a non-laying hen, and the change shows up a little before they start laying. (Small puckered vent on chick, rooster, non-laying hen. Wider, stretchy-looking, moister vent on laying hen or one that's almost ready to lay.)

You can also feel the tips of the pubic bones, on each side of the vent but a bit below it. They get lower and farther apart as she gets ready to lay, and close up again if she quits laying (molting or broody.)

There's also an article about it:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Based on your picture, I would think she is close to laying, or she might already be laying and hiding the eggs somewhere. But chickens are good at keeping us guessing, so she could also keep you waiting for a while longer.
I don’t think she’s laying but this is what her vent looks like

Chickens are an exercise in patience. My first batch of chicks took foreeever to lay and my mom offered to butcher them for me because she thought they'd never lay, so might as well have chicken dinner. 😅

I don’t think she’s laying but this is what her vent looks like

I think you're right, although I usually tell by comparing several birds to refresh my memory each time.

Some hens are really good at hiding eggs, so I was starting to wonder about yours :)

I think you're right, although I usually tell by comparing several birds to refresh my memory each time.

Some hens are really good at hiding eggs, so I was starting to wonder about yours :)
I would be really surprised if she’s hiding them. She spends almost all her time by our side door and I’m always checking up on her so I feel like I would see her wander off to go lay them. I’m really hoping she lays this winter, the first egg is always so exciting!

Back
Top Bottom