Did useing Hydrogen Peroxide Kill my Chicken?

chickenzoo

Emu Hugger
14 Years
Mar 10, 2008
a bumpy dirt road in Florida
I had a SL Polish standard hen up until an hour ago. She developed Bumble foot on both feet as well as anotherof my SL hens . They were kept on wire. I felt bad for her and started to clean out the bumble foot and flush it with HP, to clean out infection. Her one leg had been warm to the touch. I finished and went to the house to get some vet wrap & neosporin but when I came back she was dead, and I could not revive her. I'm here crying my eyes out wondering why this happened and she was of course my best hen. I don't know what I did wrong.

Last edited:
It sounds like to me that she had a systemic infection that spread from the leg. The HP did not kill her.
hugs.gif
I am so sorry.

i am so sorry for your loss, i seriously doubt the HP killed the poor girl. I really think she was already close when you started teh first aid, sounds like the timing was just unlucky. SO sorry
hugs.gif

Is it possible that when you opened the wounds to clean her feet it caused the infection to spread through her system more rapidly? This is just a guess, but it sounds possible. With her leg hot to the touch it sounds like the infection was already quite bad.
sad.png
When I had to treat a hen with bumblefoot I gave her penicillin injections prior to any cleaning. I am really sorry that happened and I know you are heartbroken.
sad.png

sorry to hear - and no i dont think using the HP or anything you did killed her. sometimes its just the way of things.

Thank you guys. I just feel so horrible. It sprang up all of a sudden. I just feel like a bad mommy. I had her laying on her side with her feet towards me, no downward angle. Perhaps it was painful enough to give her a heart attack? Or the infection started to spread more rapidly like suggested. I don't know why it was only these two hens that developed it. All others feet are fine. Oh well, life goes on right...I am just afraid to treat the other one now. I have penicillian and also baytril.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom