Did you build your own coop/s?

Did you build your own coop/s?

• Yes, I did

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I bought one

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Yes, I worked on mine all summer. It's 100 square feet total in an L shape and is an open coop design. I built it as large as my available space would allow. I have a communal nestbox built on the outside so I can get eggs from the outside via the hinged lid. It is only 4 feet tall with 2 doors and a small door by the roosts so I can clean poop, but so far I haven't had to. They are still very young and like to sleep on the ground. I give them straw to kick around. I built them a ladder to the roost poles. They will get on the roosts and on the ladder rungs (sticks) during the day. I have a large hanging feeder and waterer and several small feeders for grit, kelp, and oyster shell. I have the walls covered in hardware cloth and the top with tarps over that. The roosts have 3 wood walls around them to block drafts. I have a hardware cloth apron skirt all along the ground on the outside to keep out any digging animals. I keep carbiner clips as locks through all my latches as I read raccoons can open latches. I'm real happy with how it turned out and hope to one day post pics.

YES I DID! I built my own coop, and I'm darn proud of it, if I do say so myself.
big_smile.png
With very little construction knowledge I made it into a summer learning project. I'm a 53 year old woman, newly retired, and the only thing I didn't do myself was get the plywood home. My brother used his truck to get it for me.

All I can say is... thank goodness for clamps when you need extra hands.

finished-coop2.jpg

You can see the project sequence on my BYF Page .

I should add... I enjoyed every minute of it. It contiinually challenged my "riggin'" skills and made me really think about solutions. MacGyver would be proud of me.
lol.png

Last edited:
Well... Yes and no
hmm.png
I put null vote because we used a run in shed from our old house, that the horses didn't need anymore. It can withstand dogs trying to break in, is insulated for the winter, and keeps everybody dry and happy! It also houses too many chickens for my DH's comfort
lau.gif

I built about 14 coops during the course of last year when I lived on Whidbey Island. In other words, I had a blast.
smile.png
Twelve of them were Catawba Converticoops, and a few were just my own that were built out of scrap materials and whole lot of finger-crossing.

First coop ever built:
13565_dscn3839.jpg

100% free recycled coop:
13565_dscn4561.jpg

First Catawba:
13565_jim_coop_019.jpg

Broody coop:
13565_broodies_001.jpg

Bantam broody hutch:
13565_broodyhut_005.jpg

Last Catawba I built:
13565_brettcoop_005.jpg

I bought a Catawba coop, it turned out to be too small for my Easter Eggers, just right for my Cochin Banties. I built a playhouse-style coop/run of my own design.

I have more photos on my BYC page.

Back
Top Bottom