Did you buy sexed Silkies from MyPetChicken.com and....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by The Sheriff, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Quote:I am not giving them a bad reputation. I bought from them. As I said in my post, someone else posted that it is not possible to sex silkies until they crow or lay and I was simply asking for people's experience who had paid for sexed birds like I did.

Sorry. I didn't mean to sound so nasty. I'm guessing it's possible to fairly accurately vent sex the chicks. Internal characteristics are less likely to lie, in my humble opinion.

2. fluffystuffs808

fluffystuffs808 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2009
    Hawaii
    [​IMG] What a weird coincidence that you are all on this subject!! I just got off the phone with MPC because I ordered 10 Silkies from them in September ( I wanted 1 male and 9 females) 1 didn't make it so I was left with 9. My boy started crowing some weeks ago and then I swore I heard another crow so I checked and I got another male so I am thinking okay I can live with another rooster BUT THEN I heard ANOTHER crow this morning [​IMG] .....I have 3 roosters!!! I called them and they said they would credit or give me a few females NEXT TIME I order...but Arrgh! What do I do with the boys? I am attached to them already and they are great but too much noise!!!![​IMG]

3. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:By chance did they tell you how they sexed the chicks? That may prove an important factor in deciding if it's worth it to pay for the sexing.

4. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    My arguments are getting weaker by the second!

5. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Quote:That is why I asked after I saw what Cajun wrote about it. I have one that I seriously have doubts about it being a pullet. I also sold two of mine and told the buyer they were more than likely girls. I actually showed him my receipt from MPC stating that they were females. Glad I didn't promise.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2010
  6. FortWorthChicks

FortWorthChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Im following..... Because I want some silky girls!

7. fluffystuffs808

fluffystuffs808 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2009
    Hawaii
    Yes, She said they sex them by vent. I remember the box they came in was from a hatchery in Ohio but I forgot the name.

8. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Quote:I can sell you one of mine!!!!!!! I know it's a female because I paid for a female! [​IMG]

9. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:I can sell you one of mine!!!!!!! I know it's a female because I paid for a female! [​IMG]

Are you planning on selling any of your females? Or are you wanting a breeding flock? I'm wanting a silky girl too...

10. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I bought from them a year and a half ago. Got my first chicks from them actually. I ordered 17 chickens (9 LF and 8 banty). Of the 17, two turned into roos (1 LF and 1 banty). I did order two silkies and paid extra to have them sexed. Both did turn out to be girls. So my experience was positive.

I can't sex silkies until they start crowing, but then again, I'm not all that good at it and I don't charge for it. [​IMG]
    Good luck with yours!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by