Did you hatch/purchase ducklings in April of 2022?

So far I've gotten two eggs within a week. I don't know who it is but I'm pretty sure it's a Welshie since the Saxony ducks lay some whoppers and this one was only the size of a large chicken egg.

I've started feeding a lot more fermented feed, and also raw milk and cat food.
I don’t know about the fermented feed or milk. My welshies eat almost anything. They run the horses off from their feed. They steal the fish food when it’s floating on the pond and will run the cat off his food too. I give my the option of crushed oyster shells for egg strength. The Welshie eggs are about the size of a jumbo chicken egg. They are frequently thin and squished early in the season.

So far I've gotten two eggs within a week. I don't know who it is but I'm pretty sure it's a Welshie since the Saxony ducks lay some whoppers and this one was only the size of a large chicken egg.

I've started feeding a lot more fermented feed, and also raw milk and cat food.
yay great you are getting eggs. i just read through this thread and didnt see anyone ask you if you were 100% sure they were females or not LOL so now I guess since you are getting eggs, its all settled then :wee

yay great you are getting eggs. i just read through this thread and didnt see anyone ask you if you were 100% sure they were females or not LOL so now I guess since you are getting eggs, its all settled then :wee
They're definitely females, besides the boys😄
I kept the boy who is giving me the side eye, and the two girls on the left, plus their sister.
IMG_20230213_084354761.jpg

I also have three Saxony females left from my OGs.
view~2.jpg

Wade, Ila Rose, Magnolia, and Georgina.

We got only males in 22 around April/March. Our first female we got in September and November. The older 3 started laying in February, there is now 1 or 2 of the about 6 week younger ones laying. Still have the other 11-12 that haven't started. Our first layers were our silver appleyard and 2 of our 3 golden 300. We actually have 7 so far out of 8 viable of 9 eggs we started last month. I suspect the other one or two laying is khaki Campbell we have, as there is smaller egg than rest everyday now. At first they was laying pretty reliability in the nest area I made them. Now I'm having to literally dig in the house everyday to find them, as they seem to randomly choose a location. One day I found 13 that had been laid when I thought a couple had just not laid for a couple days. I had been digging around looking for them and still missed those 13, so you may just not have found them. I know you said you really looked, but I did also ;)

I purchased 10 khaki Campbells April of 2022. Eight turned out to be drakes, and of my two hens only one has been laying (started last fall, stopped for winter, then began laying again in February.) She lays 6-7 large, delicious eggs a week. I'm very happy with her. :D

I purchased 10 khaki Campbells April of 2022. Eight turned out to be drakes,
Five out of eight were drakes for me😂
and of my two hens only one has been laying (started last fall, stopped for winter, then began laying again in February.)
That's what I was really hoping and praying for with mine! They only just started and it's very sporadic, also the eggs are kinda small.
She lays 6-7 large, delicious eggs a week. I'm very happy with her. :D
I'm jelly! If even one of my welshies would lay regularly I would be so happy😭

Five out of eight were drakes for me
Can you even imagine getting all hens in a batch? My odds have been terrible every time I've raised both ducklings and chicks. :hit
That's what I was really hoping and praying for with mine! They only just started and it's very sporadic, also the eggs are kinda small.
My duck eggs also started out pretty small, so hopefully yours get nice and large as well! I was a bit disappointed at first cause I heard so profusely that duck eggs are very large.
I'm jelly! If even one of my welshies would lay regularly I would be so happy😭
Wishing you the best that they do soon! :hugs

Back
Top Bottom