Did you sell these people animals?? NY/NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewarriorchild

Songster
11 Years
Mar 29, 2008
Ringwood area, NJ
Someone was saying they thought people were taking thier animals....

http://www.1010wins.com/Cops--100--Animals-Saved-from-Religious-Sacrifice/2860929

Photo by 1010 WINS' Terry Sheridan

Posted: Wednesday, 27 August 2008 12:10PM

Cops: 100 Animals Rescued from Religious Sacrifice

GREENBURGH, N.Y. (1010 WINS) -- More than 100 farm animals have been rescued from a home in Westchester where police say the owners planned to sacrifice the animals in a "Santeria ritual."

Terry Sheridan Reports

An anonymous tip from a neighbor on Aug. 15 led police to the house on Indian Trail in Greenburgh where about 30 goats and rams and a half-dozen crates full of chickens, pigeons and doves were found. Police also found ducks, quail, and turtles.

Police believe 64-year-old Luis Perez-Hernandez and his son, 24-year-old Louis Hernandez Jr., were planning to sacrifice the animals and drink their blood as part of an Afro-Caribbean religious ritual.

Perez-Hernandez had apparently purchased the livestock from New Jersey where they are being returned.

Both men have been charged with misdemeanor animal cruelty charges after a goat and a pigeon were found dead from malnutrition, police said. Perez-Hernandez was also charged with violating a town law which bans livestock in residential neighborhoods.

Perez-Hernandez and his son are due in court Friday and may face additional charges pending the outcome of an investigation by the SPCA in Westchester.

The family admits the animals were for a Santeria ritual and the daughter, 21-year-old Stephanie Perez, says the animals were to be sacrificed. She insists the family did nothing wrong and says they have been celebrating Santeria for as long as she can remember.

The Santeria practice of animal sacrifice is not illegal under the Constitution.

Quote:
that's really sad
sad.png

Why should it be illegal?

How is animal sacrifice (animal's throat is slit, it is used in a ritual, meat is eaten) "sick" compared to what happens at a Tyson plant?

Shall we also ban kosher and halal slaughter? That's a religious ritual.

I know that the Constitution is considered a cute, if inconvenient, "option" these days. You might think about whose rights "they" will be coming for next.

Your practice of raising poultry as a hobby is "sick" to some people.

I'm sorry that these individuals didn't practice good husbandry and neglected some of the livestock they kept.

I don't see how that indicts the practice of ritual slaughter, any more than the crazy cat lady with kitty corpses under the sofa reflects on the practice of pet-keeping in general.

...well...not that i agree with how the chicken plants are run..but.....the meat is getting eaten...i'm not sure these people were eating the animals...thats a BIG reason why its differant...and i just dont get why these type of people need animal blood to worship...
sickbyc.gif
.(who ever it is they worship)..i mean..who cares if they are ..
somad.gif
..satanists..really....its thier life....
idunno.gif
...but..come on..eat the meat for cripes sakes!!....and dont let the animals suffer and starve either...thats just cruelty there!!

Just for arguments sake (cause I'm bored and this is a naughty topic--just ripe with controversy)

#1 There is a Constitutional right to practice Freedom of Religion

#2 Supreme Court upheld the right of Religious Practice in a similar case involving Santeria

#3 You never know what happens to "any" animal or child you relinquish to the Care, custody, and control of others

#4 There are many different people in the world most of whom are different and who might think Communion is weird too-

#5 NJ Supreme Court just said they will not get involved in the slaughter of animals because that was under the protection of the farmer/processor as to what methods of dispatch were best and it was not subject to cruelty interpretation.

That all being said--venditor emptor--let the seller beware...

love.gif

In no way do I agree with what they were doing. By not properly caring for their animals. I think every animal, when they die, should die swift and the less pain the better. Weither it be a hamster, dog or a horse I dont think any animal should have to suffer. But if we were to go by what the bible says there would be a lot of different animals that wouldnt get eaten. Such as rabbits, pigs, catfish, lobsters, shrimp, etc. Also look in...I think its India were they worship cows. They dont eat them. And in the US that is one of the main food sources. What about people who shoot deer for just a sport. I know a few people who just kill them for the head/antlers and do away with the rest.

I worked for the HS for a year and some of things i seen was just sicking.
some people think animals have no rights, it very sad,

Your Religion beliefs are one thing. but the health and welfare of any kind of animal is another,

Were in the U.S.A

If people want to ritually kill animals, they should do so. I doubt that if they had a few animals awaiting slaughter that anyone would have cared. Not sure why they needed so many and that is probably why locals became concerned.

Animals used for rituals are usually highly respected and dispatched in a very humane way. I doubt Santeria looks kindly on having your upcoming sacrifices starve to death. I have a feeling something more commercial was going on here and the Santeria stuff is a cover. The press loves to overemphasize the part of alternative religions in any story also.

but..come on..eat the meat for cripes sakes!!

I don't know any specifics about Santeria. I have studied the religions of pre-Christian Europe though. Sacrificed animals were always eaten. I think all such religions eat their sacrifices. The whole ritual thing was more like Thanksgiving than anything. But instead of buying a turkey at the supermarket, you said a prayer and killed a turkey you wouldn't be able to feed over the winter.

Halloween, marking the beginning of November, is associated with death not only because the plants go dormant. This was the time that all homesteads culled their herds and flocks of excess animals (that would otherwise starve over winter). IIRC, November in Anglo-Saxon was Blodmonath, or blood month, for that reason.

Oops, sorry if I rambled
lol.png
First day of school today and it just always marks the beginning of Fall, regardless of leaves or weather or calendar
wink.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom