Didn't Fluff Out

readysar

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 27, 2011
I have two chicks that hatched out in my incubator so far and neither one dried out and got fluffy. I left both in there for 24 hours and when I went to see how wet they were I found that all of their feathers were stuck to their skin and they were completely dry. It's like the sticky stuff in the egg never got off. I've been washing them off with a warm, damp washcloth but it doesn't seem to make much progress and I'm afraid of them catching a chill. I searched around online for a long time but couldn't find anything. They're both in the brooder now and I just can't figure out what else to do. I've heard they can get bacterial infections if they don't dry right so I'm really worried about that.
Thanks for any help you can give!

Here's a picture of one, she's a bit fluffier now. She looks wet but she really is dry.

84051_dscn8847.jpg

or.....put a hand towel in the brooder....I did and they would climb on it and pile up in it and it fluffed their feathers...I think that is what a small stuffed animal helps with too...

The same thing happened the first hatch I had in my Brinsea Mini Advance -- it was too much humidity. They looked like crusty little peeps for a while until their feathers started coming in, but as long as you keep them warm in the brooder, they'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom