didnt really know where to put this....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Justino, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    But in the shed that im converting into an add on to the coop has white mold in it and i dont know how to get rid of it without hurting the new chickens that are going to be in there.....My dad said bleach might work but i didnt think that would be good for them....so any ideas on how to fix my mold problem?

Thanks a ton!

Justino

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I think bleach would be fine...don't do it with birds in there!

3. FarmerChick

FarmerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    North Carolina
    I agree. bleach is fine but do it without the birds and give it time to air out and dry.

4. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Bleach will be the best thing to use, just make sure everything is dry before you put birds in there.

5. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    yes...let it dry...good point...that is also what gives it time to kill the stuff

6. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    you probably don't need to use straight bleach, just follow the directions on the bleach bottle for cleaning.

i agree with the others, the bleach will be fine if you air it out and keep it ventilated.

and for gosh sakes, DO NOT put ANYTHING but water on the surface for a good while. mixing chemicals, even some soaps and bleach can kill not only the chickens, but YOU! we want to keep you around! [​IMG]

7. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    very true! My mom mixed bleach and ammonia and it overtook her within minutes! Luckily she got away in time. Now I am very careful with that.

8. FarmerChick

FarmerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    North Carolina
    wow I did that unknowingly while cleaning the bathtub. I used something with ammonia in it---then wanted whiter so I jogged off and got the bleach and poured it in...leaned over and started to scrub.......HOLY COW!

All I could do to get out of there.....when I recovered I ran in, opened the widow, ran out. Then got a towel over my face, ran in, rinsed the tub....ran out....LOL

never ever did that again!! it will knock your socks off !![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by