Didn't think about ventilation while building......... HELP!!

spcurtiss

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 14, 2011
I built my coop in the spring time with extra lumber from a large project my neighbors were doing. I live in CT and now that the colder weather is coming I'm noticing that the floor (plywood) of my coop is getting very moist. Originally I thought it was the girls (6 Barred Rock Hens) splashing water around making a mess. Now I am to believe that it's simply moisture from them breathing. I understand how detrimental this can be to their health and am brainstorming ideas to put good not drafty ventilation (and inexpensive) in before the real cold snap hits. I leave the door open for them during the day (see photo) and usually around 2pm I let them roam the yard till they return at night, and then I shut them in. I have a 60watt bulb that is on till 7pm then goes on again at 4am to keep my eggs in inventory. If anyone has any ideas or pointers by looking at the pics that would be appreciated! Looking for something that's quick an effective. I am a new owner this year, so it's a learning experience! Cheers!

103642_img_3272.jpg

103642_img_3273.jpg

103642_img_4096.jpg

The long window is covered with plexiglass from the inside.

You need to cut a hole at the peak on each side of the coop and cover it with hardware cloth. I did this and built and hinged a cover so I can close it during bad weather.

Do it like you did your pop door.

Last edited:
The ventilation needs to be above them when they are sleeping. If you can, take out a strip under the overhang and cover it with hardware cloth. If their roost is too high for that, do something like petejd said. Instead of being able to close it, I'd make it two permanent openings (one each end) but maybe put a slanted cover or fix some louvers to help keep rain out.

Or, install a roof vent cap. These can easily be installed after the fact. You "disturb" three shingles or so, but no big deal. They are still flexible and won't crack.

This current poster has just finished his/her coop. Look at photo number three, you will a simple roof cap vent. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=606997

Ok, sounds good, they DO roost high of course. I have a piece of wood spanning the the whole coop 4ft up, to hang food and water, and guess where they roost?? Yup, above everything! There are plenty of roosts inside but they choose the highest one, oh well. Would something like a dryer vent work on each side you think? Or too small? Reason I ask that is they have the cover over them to help keep weather out. THANK YOU very much folks

You can use a 1/2 inch spade bit and drill holes at the peaks on either end. Make them into a pattern like a star or moon or whatever geometic shape you fancy. Also drill a line of holes near the top along the long sides of the coop, that way the cool dry air can get in while the warmer moist air exits from the ends.

I would also stop using the 60 watt bulb. The chickens don't need it and it is likely warming the air while it is on and then when you turn it off, the moisture condenses on the inside of your coop. That is worse for the chickens than cold, dry winter air.

Here's how we did ours. I put a 20" box fan in the large louvered vent on the back in the summer. The holes were made with a 4" hole saw.
105108_2011-12-09_150543.jpg

105108_2011-12-09_150528.jpg

Chris

with the bulb.. I only have it come on in the AM and turns off a few hours later... just to get the needed light for eggs, no need for it to be on all day and into the night.
I believe they prefer the dark to come gradually also, rather that at 7PM it all goes to from lit to black night in an instant, so they can settle on the roosts be fore dark.
Course sounds like yours are roosting fine. but will save you some $$$$$ and you'll still get your eggs.

dryer vents mounted up near the peak one on each end should work fine. remember to take out the louvers that open when the dryer goes on, and make sure to add some hardware cloth to keep out the critters.

Jerry

Back
Top Bottom