died in my arms-why?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by janetk, Oct 12, 2010.

1. janetk

janetk Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    I just had a beautiful americana die in my arms. She was about 3 years old. The only symptoms started about 3 days ago. They were lethargic-but not too much, she'd still go out and graze. I was able to pick her up yesterday & looked her over. Her crop was airy with a few seeds I could feel. I gently massaged it and clear liquid came out. I gave her AVC in her water. She didn't eat anything. Today, she was hiding in the coop. I picked her up to check her & still the same with her crop. This time the liquid was not clear, just slightly yellow. She seemed to be gasping for air. I gently massaged her crop-no burps or smelly liquid like I have experienced in the past with other chickens that had sour crop. She just acted like she couldn't breath. I put her on the ground, she flipped over-shook a little & died. Mucusy poo came out, along with the rest of the liquid from her crop. What the heck happened? She hadn't lost weight. I have lost 3 chickens in the last 3-4 months with sour crop. They eat layer feed, minimal scratch grain as a treat. AVC in their water. I have treated them with oxytetracycline last week-trying to save another chicken with sour crop-didn't work. Any ideas? Why do I keep having chickens with sour crop? No one is laying right now. What to do?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    She sounds like she may have had "flip-over" or "sudden death syndrome". It's usually a heart malady that results in a sudden, unexplained death. There is nothing you can do to stop it. It just happens. Weak heart. I am so sorry for your loss.

3. janetk

janetk Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    thank you cmv

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by