Diet for quality hatching eggs

Deryk

Songster
Jun 12, 2017
Middle Tennessee
My chickens get most of their food from foraging over their 2,000sf run and also have layer pellets available along with some scratch grains as treats. They do well at laying and when I had two hens go broody last summer they had great hatch rates.

I am wondering if there is anything specific that can be added to their diet to enhance the viability of eggs for hatching? I plan on increasing their protein with some scrambled eggs over the next week and plan on setting for an Easter hatch.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi. :frow

I'm glad you asked!

22% protein has been shown to give the best hatches, according the the studies I've seen... and I hatch up a storm!

That being said... eggs AREN'T high in protein, contrary to popular belief. :old They actually are about 12% protein and 30% fat. Though they are a good source of vitamins and minerals including selenium.

To get your BEST hatch.. skip the scratch. It's diminishing not only your protein level but also you nutrient level... being vitamins, minerals, and importantly the amino acids.

Adding a vitamin supplement like poultry nutri drench can be beneficial (never more than 10 days straight for any supplement)... or even switching to 20% protein flock raiser and putting OS on the side for your layers. Makes it real simple to feed the whole flock including the chicks. Since I'm always hatching, have broody's, molting, layers, juveniles... I feed Purina flock raiser (it what's available at $17-20/50#) for the entire life of every bird here. It has worked well for me.

Dual purpose layers will do best on about 18% protein as 16% is the minimum for light bodied layers like leghorn. In addition, the *usual* 4% calcium in layer CAN be too much for any bird not laying like roosters, broody's molters and so on. It *can* (doesn't mean will) actually cause gout or kidney failure if fed long term to those not in lay. Though it's most likely to happen to those who are somehow genetically pre disposed to it... it DOES happen. That's one reason I personally avoid layer. Plus even though the higher protein formulas are often a little pricier... OS is cheap and 4% (3% more than other feeds) So providing it on the side and getting more protein in my feed... seems to at least even out and NOT cost me more.

Of course you may be fine, just as you are! This is my experience and preference, as a major over thinker and (rarely achieved) perfectionist. :)

Happy hatching! :jumpy :jumpy

Back
Top Bottom