Diffences Between EEs, Ameraucanas, and Araucanas

Greetings araucana and EE friends. I come from Hungary and I keep pure breed araucanas here. Check out the european type of araucanas on my photos. :)
He is beautiful!

I have read about the spelling of Ameraucana versus Americana. I am currently hatching what I was told is Blue Splash Ameraucana. We want to add a blue egg layer to our flock From my understanding Easter Eggers are a mix of Ameraucana or Araucana with a brown egg layer. Olive Eggers are the same breed with a very dark egg layer such as Marans. If you are showing birds, the Easter Egger and Olive Egger is not recognized the same as some of the imported breeds, Swedish Flower and Marrunda Basque and others are not recognized in the US. It does not mean they are not beautiful and nice to own. We all have our favorites.
big_smile.png

I cannot wait until my two oldest EE's start laying!

After going through all the profiles of the breeds I have, I have noticed that I won't be getting any white eggs, which will throw the rest of my family for a loop since I'm the only one who has eaten farm fresh eggs, or will buy the brown ones from the store.

I should be getting eggs from a few of my girls within the next few weeks and I am excited to see the color pallette.

EE's may be "mutts," but I think they are some of the prettiest chickens around!

I cannot wait until my two oldest EE's start laying!

After going through all the profiles of the breeds I have, I have noticed that I won't be getting any white eggs, which will throw the rest of my family for a loop since I'm the only one who has eaten farm fresh eggs, or will buy the brown ones from the store.

I should be getting eggs from a few of my girls within the next few weeks and I am excited to see the color pallette.

EE's may be "mutts," but I think they are some of the prettiest chickens around!

Mutts, pure breed....it is all in the eye of the beholder. You love what you love. It is just important if you want to be registered/certified in order to show a particular breed. I have seen some gorgeous "Mutts" and eggs from them....and it is all good.

I think the other chickens keep picking at her tufts. :( Does anyone else have this problem? She's the only Araucana in the flock, and about a week ago her tufts were really out there. Now they look picked.

I think the other chickens keep picking at her tufts. :( Does anyone else have this problem? She's the only Araucana in the flock, and about a week ago her tufts were really out there. Now they look picked.
It is nothing but jealousy because the others don't have such fine looking tuffs. It does sound like they are pecking her and pulling them out. Is she loosing any other feathers? I have Ameraucanas scheduled to hatch in a week and they will be the only ones who will have the beards. I hope I don't have a problem. If all goes well I will have more than one.

Last edited:
It is nothing but jealousy because the others don't have such find looking tuffs. It does sound like they are pecking her and pulling them out. Is she loosing any other feathers? I have Ameraucanas scheduled to hatch in a week and they will be the only ones who will have the beards. I hope I don't have a problem. If all goes well I will have more than one.

She doesn't seem to be losing any other feathers. I like your theory about the jealousy lol. She's very passive, she probably doesn't even fuss about it, just runs. I always seem to see her running, it's like she has two speeds: Sitting still or running.

I cannot wait until my two oldest EE's start laying! After going through all the profiles of the breeds I have, I have noticed that I won't be getting any white eggs, which will throw the rest of my family for a loop since I'm the only one who has eaten farm fresh eggs, or will buy the brown ones from the store. I should be getting eggs from a few of my girls within the next few weeks and I am excited to see the color pallette. EE's may be "mutts," but I think they are some of the prettiest chickens around!
I totally agree with you.. I thought I was getting an Aracauna and an Australorp. I then .hoped for two Ameraucanas and ended up with 2 EE instead. They are so sweet and gentle. Their eggs have the largest yolks and I always pick out their eggs to eat over my Speckled Sussex, Light Brahma and Buff Orpington. One lays light blue and the other greenish- blue. I wouldn't give them up for the world. I also like the way they hang together, like sisters. They are beauties!

Last edited:
Those are not tufts, nor are they tuffs. They are muffs (and beard). It is common for other chickens who get bored to pick the feathers out of that area of the victim. They must like it, because they just stand there and let the other chickens do it. Oftentimes it get started when the muffs/beard gets wet, then they go to the feeder and get food particles stuck to the feathers. The other chicken sees it and goes after it - thus the vice begins. It is difficult if not impossible to get them to stop once they acquire the habit.

Back
Top Bottom