Difference between Heritage and Standard

big_smile.png
....I agree...

Quote:
There was never a Orloff or a Russian Orloff in the APA Standard of Perfection. The breed that you are referring to was the Russian and if I remember correctly there is/ was a difference two most common being Comb and Size.

Chris

Nope, we've been arguing about this for over a year now.
smile.png
Same birds.

Why was there a difference in comb, stance and weight.

Chris

Last edited:
Quote:
The ALBC did. The trouble began when other folks stated adopting it like it was chicken gospel and that those of us who would dare question it were chicken heretics. Doesn't matter how long we've been doing it brother or how well documented our breeds are. If we don't agree with that definition then we are just simply wrong.
big_smile.png

I don't think you are wrong at all. As a matter of fact, I would love to see your list (or one similar) adopted or accepted or ....... whatever. I don't like ALBC's list or definition either. I would like to see the APA make a statement or commitment to this very subject. On the other hand, who cares?! Heritage, standard, antique, ancient, old, modern....... does it matter? Just another topic of contention.

All men seem agreed what is to be done; the contention is how the subject is to be divided and defined. ~Bagehot, 1913

Yeah, as long as we all there chickens! lol.

By the way Kathy, did I tell you I saw Geo Jensens birds that he rec'd from you as chicks (or was it eggs?). They are awesome. My Orientals eventually get much larger but it takes them a whole lot longer. I was seriously impressed.

Quote:
Thank you! That means alot to me.

Good breeders deserve the credit. What I saw was the result of excellent breeding.

Quote:
Thank you! That means alot to me.

Good breeders deserve the credit. What I saw was the result of excellent breeding.

I can't take credit. Doug Akers sold me my foundation stock and he set me up with great birds to start with.

Quote:

I can't take credit. Doug Akers sold me my foundation stock and he set me up with great birds to start with.

Sure you can. And you should.

It only takes 2 generations for someone who doesn't know how to select/cull/breed to ruin a good line. Someone who can keep/improve a line does so by being a good breeder. Yes, you had good birds to start with, but YOU are the one that bred those birds I saw not someone else.

Quote:
Thank you. You have emphasized the point I tried to make to the Original Poster earlier and maybe clarified it. In think it is an important point.

With chicken genetics, if you do not specifically choose your breeders each generation to maintain and enhance the traits you want, they will quickly lose those traits. Even the best of breeders hatch a whole lot of chicks that do not meet their standards. It is a difficult never-ending process.

If you can find a breeder that is breeding for goals that are compatible with yours, you will get better birds for you than hatchery birds. But unless you learn how to select your breeders to maintain and enhance those traits, the quality of your flock will drop. You can get hatchery birds and over time develop your own strain with the traits you want. If you can find a breeder that has already done a lot of that preliminary selection process for you, you start out way ahead. But the keys are finding that breeder that is doing what you want, then learning and working to maintain those traits.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom