1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Difference between Opal and Bronze?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by WestKnollAmy, Oct 31, 2012.

1. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    In studying the photos it looks like the difference is wing color and pattern. I know there must be more to it than that. [​IMG]
    At first I was thinking there was a big difference in the shading on the necks but now the more I look the more I see a lot of resemblance.
    Is there any difference in the eye feathers?

Thank you for any info to this peafowl newbie! [​IMG]

2. In person they look nothing alike to me. Now my Spalding Opal is darker and you could say it is closer to Opal, but I still think they are nothing alike. The black shoulder pattern is completely different on them.

3. connerhills

connerhills Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Amy. There is a lot of difference in the Bronze and opal.. suggest you go to my web site and I have photos of both to compare.. go to http://boxess.com/connerhills Please let me know what you think. George

4. Mmmaddie13

Mmmaddie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Fort Collins, CO
    Bronze are brown:

[​IMG]

Opal are grey:

[​IMG]

These are both the "Black Shoulder"/"Solid Wing" variety.

Not my photos.

5. WestKnollAmy

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Thank you both for the info.
    I have been to Conner Hills website many times as I research and try to learn as much as possible.

I am thinking it is the photos that give me the impression that other then the wing color and pattern, they are very much alike. Even the 2 pairs that I have been given, I am trying to see if it is what I have been told.

You are right, they do look a lot different in person but I don't get to see mine as well as I want right now as they are yet at my farm. I can only gaze through the fence as they stay as far from me as possible and pace.

6. WestKnollAmy

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Fabulous! The photos together like that help me much more! These are most obvious.

And correct me if I am wrong....these 2 pictured are both considered black shoulder?

7. Mmmaddie13

Mmmaddie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Fort Collins, CO
    Correct, they are both black shoulder. Opals as chicks are light colored, and Bronze as chicks are almost identical to India Blues.

Check out Brad Legg's photo gallery, he has tons of photos of all kinds of varieties. http://www.leggspeafowl.com/photogal.htm Hope that helps some! :)

8. frenchblackcopper

frenchblackcopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    East central Illinois
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are some pics of my Bronze male UPS.He is a plain Bronze of 3,coming on 4 yrs old next spring.

9. Yoda

Yoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Shady Hills, FL
    I actually think a bronze looks more like a charcoal. The only difference to me is the bronze has the shine on the neck and the charcoal don't.

10. WestKnollAmy

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Oh, okay! The Bronze that is in the pen that I am getting does have the shine on the neck and the person giving him to me wasn't sure if he was a true Bronze but the more I ask and the more you all answer the better I am learning all these colors and shades.

When I took him some Guinea keets today he said he may give me his Cameo male, too. He hasn't much use for him right now but may later want to breed a female Peach to him. Since we live about 3 miles apart, we could do some breeding and trading later.

He did tell me I was right about the other pair, that they are Opals. He could not remember the name of them before. I am happy with anything he doesn't want but hope I can build as fast as he gives them to me.

Thank you all for the photos and explaining all this to me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by