Difference between Roosters and Cockrels?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by cluckcluckluke, Oct 19, 2012.

1. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

so? what IS the difference?

2. Roosters are full grown male chickens. They are considered full grown at about 1 year, I believe...

Cockerels are young roosters. Usually over 4 weeks old, but if you know the sex of the chicks they could really be considered cockerels or pullets (respectively).

It's like the difference between pullets and hens. Except pullets can be considered hens after 6 months.

~~Ms.B :)

ETA: Some larger breeds (such as Jersey Giants and Orpingtons) take longer to reach full size. So they might be considered full grown later, like one year. I read somewhere else that some people consider the chicken's first molt to be the "turning point" from cockerel/pullet to rooster/hen.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  3. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    x2

4. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

rooster = a male chicken (any age)
    cockerel = a male chicken aged under one year
    cock = a male chicken over one year of age

5. cluckcluckluke

thank you all, so now i must change all my classifieds to cockerel WANTED!!!..........

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  6. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington

Too bad you aren't in Colorado! I have a free to good home cockerel right now. Half RIR, half buff Orphington. Poor guy has been on Craigslist for three weeks with zero interest. Most people around here are in city limits and can't keep roosters.

7. Where are you? I have cockerels that need to go. At least six. All different ages, the oldest two will be one in April.............but I'm in Kansas....

8. cluckcluckluke

well i dont think your going to like this but im in Australia[​IMG], Ive tried to get cockerels on this site before but im so far away from everyone.

9. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    I think Rooster is an American word.

In the UK all make chickens are called cockerels. We don't use the word Rooster.

10. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    That's really odd. I am an Aussie transplant now living in the US but kept chooks all my life even living in Australia and we always called them roosters there. I have some English friends here and they call them roosters too, even though I never hear them using much in the way of American lingo.

To the OP, I wouldn't change the classifieds except to ADD the word cockerel. Since most people think of a male chicken as a rooster, you might get more responses by leaving that word in, and just specify "young male rooster or cockerel" or something like that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by